Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C-3 Matchmatic Help! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Argus C-3 Matchmatic Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brittperry89
Tinkerer
Username: Brittperry89

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I own an Argus C-3 Matchmatic and is in need of a lot cleaning...possibly repair. It does take beautiful photos but I am unable to see through the focusing view finder.

My issue is I am not a camera hobbiest so have NO knowlage of camera repair. There is also no one in a 3 hour radius who does camera repair apparently. (southern Minnesota)Any advice on where to get started or how to get started in camera repair or how to find some one who does...would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 526

Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Argus C-3 line of cameras is one of the easiest when it comes to cleaning the rangefinder/viewfinder. Only two tools are required, and a few cotton swabs with some lens cleaning fluid.

To clean the rangefinder view, first open up the back of the camera. You will see the two view ports for the rangefinder (focusing) on the right, and viewfinder (framing) on the left.

There, you'll find the small split-rings that retain the lenses for the two ports. Take this ring out with something like a small gasket remover/pick tool, and take care it doesn't go flying away. I gave my last extra one away a couple of months ago.

CAUTION: The viewing port lenses are somewhat brittle, so try not to put any undue pressure on them, as they may shatter.

Make sure you don't flip the lens as you take it out, so that you can get it back in with the proper alignment.

Now, you remove the film counter wheel by holding the sprocket shaft securely, and turning the screw on the wheel counter-clockwise. It then lifts off.

You will notice a plate on top of the camera with two screws holding it in place. Remove the two screws (one is longer than the other, don't get them mixed up), and the plate should lift up and off. There is an actuating lever for the rangefinder that will sort of hang on the focusing wheel, but you can slip a small screwdriver in to push it back to clear the inside of the focusing wheel if neccessary.

Then you will be able to clean the inside of the focusing wheel, the colored contrast window, and the rangefinder mirrors. Just light strokes with a cotton swab doused with lens cleaner will do. The small mirror is back silvered, while the large mirror is front silvered, but nicely done, so you don't have to worry too much about removing the silvering.

Then put the top plate back on, using the screwdriver to push in the actuating lever so it clears the lip of the focusing wheel. Put the screws back in, and the film counter (make sure you reach inside behind the sprocket shaft, and hold the transfer gear up so that you can screw in the film counter wheel), and you're done with the rangefinder cleaning.

The viewfinder is much simpler, you just need to remove the rear lens (same method as with the rangefinder lens, making sure you keep the orientation correct), and use a cotton swab to reach in and clean the inside of the viewfinder front lens. Reinstall the rear lens and retainer split-ring, and you're good to go.

Check out the Books section of the Forum to see what tomes are available to get you started in camera repair.

And http://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx is a good source for specialty tools. Here is a page on some Argus repair tips http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-86.html

For all things Argus http://www.arguscg.org/ and the Yahoo Groups.

Remember, this year is Argust the 13th!

PF

Brittperry89
Tinkerer
Username: Brittperry89

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much! I will be very excited to sit down and get to know and clean my camera. This will be extremely helpful in doing so. Again, thank you so much!

Will post pictures of finished camera when done. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration