Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord II shutter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord II shutter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ivarvw
Tinkerer
Username: Ivarvw

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I purchased a Rolleicord II and I have encountered the following problems:
-Shutter time 'T' does not work
-Shutter time 1/1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10 and 1/25 seconds are longer than they should be.
-When I move the shutter to 1/50, it makes the shutter noise for 3 seconds and when I fire the shutter, it stays open for 2 seconds.

1/100 and 1/300 are accurate, I think. Does anyone know if I can fix this by taking it apart and cleaning the shutter with lighter fluid? I don't have money for a CLA at the moment, so it would save me a lot of time. I'm a complete newbie, so sorry in advance!

Regards,
Ivar

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1292

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, this is a classic case of needs-a-cleaning. Being new at it, you should always use extra caution as you go - take a digital photo of every step of disassembly before you disturb any part, so that you can use the photos as a guide for reassembly. In particular, as you reassemble the shutter speed cam & front plate onto the shutter, watch out for the little pins that project into the holes & slots - make sure none get trapped under the plate or you can damage them as you tighten it down. I have some general notes at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html , there are also other good places to look on the web - feel free to write at rick_oleson@yahoo.com if you feel like discussing anything in more detail than is appropriate for the forum.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 138

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a pictorial set of steps for a Art Deco Rolleicord. It was very similar to my Rolleicord Model 1.

http://www.pbase.com/raynerj/repair

Good Luck

Ivarvw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much Rick and Denny! I'll try it out next week and post the results on this forum.

Ivarvw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've taken the Rolleicord apart and I've put some drops of lighter fluid on several parts of the shutter mechanism. Going to put everything together now and see what happens!

Ivarvw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh oh... I'm reassembling the camera now but I'm not sure how I should put the shutter speed cam on the shutter mechanism. I have two screws left.

[image]http://oi45.tinypic.com/2s8fic9.jpg[/image]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration