Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xxx1
Tinkerer
Username: Xxx1

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got above lens cheaply as the lever pushing the aperture down was stuck. That was easy to repair (a drop of super lube oil and moving the lever few times did it, I think that this lens wasn't used at all or at least very little). It is Tokina made model.

Now the problem, I did lose clicks from aperture. I think that there should be a small bearing ball in a hole. I tried 1 mm bearing and it goes through it and 1.5 mm is too large. There seems to be no spring to push the ball outwards through the hole and I see no reason why it would get lost.

Micro-tools.de is out of 1.2 mm bearings so I am looking another source of them. Any other information welcome too, especially about Tokina&
their aperture clicking systems.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1063

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Presumably the aperture ring covers up the hole where you think the spring and ball should be? If this is so there should be some grooves on the inner face of the ring that the detent ball locates in. The grooves may be directly under the aperture value engravings or may be located somewhere on the opposite side of the ring. I do not know this particular lens; however, if there are no detent grooves in the aperture ring that correspond to the hole when the ring is assembled in the correct position, then this hole is not for a detent ball. That does not mean that the hole did not originally contain a ball and spring - a number of good quality lenses (especially those with large diameter barrels ie large max apertures) have one or two extra balls that act purely as supports for the aperture ring.

Xxx1
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. There is a hole that corresponds to grooves in the aperture ring. Besides that hole there is another hole (maybe 15 degrees away) that I think had another ball for support. I have to check if there are more of these holes. There is very narrow countersunk in the hole. 1mm ball goes thru the hole and 1.5mm one makes the aperture ring too tough to rotate. So I think it has to be 1.2 (or 3/64") ball

Xxx1
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it working. The ball was 1.5mm but I managed to put two 1 mm balls inside the spring and the spring couldn't compress properly. Took them out and it works. I got that lens for 26.50 GBP and it is good enough for me. Weights 710 g and is about 1 kg with Sony Nex and about 1.5 kg with 24mm&55mm lenses.

Impatiently waiting for Sakar 135mm/2.5 with oily aperture blades.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration