Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1966 Nikon F mirror foam depth? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » 1966 Nikon F mirror foam depth? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce_robbins
Tinkerer
Username: Bruce_robbins

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a change from footering with my dysfunctional FA I thought I'd take a break and replace the mirror foam on a recently-acquired F. This one has no mirror foam at all. I was going to use 3mm think foam from a Jon Goodman kit. Would that be about right?

On a related note, the back feels very slightly loose - the sort of feeling you get with a hinged SLR back when the foam needs replacing. Would replacing the cord seal on the rear of the body be likely to cure this or might the camera just being showing signs of age?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1072

Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When sitting on the foam the mirror is usually parallel to the screen. Place a bit of your 3mm foam between screen frame and mirror when shutter on 'B'. If it looks OK, then it is - otherwise try a piece of thinner foam.

Changing the door seals can 'tighten' up the fit of a rear door. You should also note that a strained door can also exhibit what you are finding, along with the good old wear and tear of hinge and latch. Personally I would replace the seals.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 298

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the Nikon F a slightly loose back is probably a non issue. You might be able to adjust the latches a little, but I would not bother with anything unless it actually leaks light. The rope seal is very effective and lasts pretty much forever.

On the mirror foam, it's needed only for quieting, as far as I know, and must be pretty thin. It will work without foam all right, but of course it makes quite a clack. If it's too thick it will interfere with the mirror return and the mirror lock function. You'll notice this quickly, so if in doubt, dry fire it without film, and make sure the mirror behaves right before putting film in.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration