Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Tokina AT-X 35-200 Needs Help Fungus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Tokina AT-X 35-200 Needs Help Fungus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 37

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fungus is in the front end. Appears to be on the rear surface of the front group, and the front surface of the next group.

The front group seems as though it would come off by unscrewing it from the helicoid, but when I do that there's still something blocking it; like it's snagging on something. It's clearly coming all the way off the helicoid, and completely loose, but like I said, there's some kind of stop preventing it from coming off.

I've heard many good things about this lens, and it's compactness plus 'macro' function make me really want to salvage it.

The focus ring is in two pieces, taped together. There is a screw under one of those pieces of tape. But from my observations, there's no lip or protrusion of any kind on the outer surface of the front optical section, so I don't see how the focus ring could be what's obstructing it's removal.

Any ideas?

P. S. - If pics would help, I have uploaded a few to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16916627@N06/sets/72157633240246164/

Xxx1
Tinkerer
Username: Xxx1

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if this helps but I have dismantled always (2 lenses so far) in this kind of situation by unscrewing the front bezel.

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your input Seismo. That was my first approach, but the front bezel is either *very* stubbornly tight, or it is not unscrewble in this fashion.

I really was hoping someone experienced with Tokina zooms might share their experiences. . . ?

Xxx1
Tinkerer
Username: Xxx1

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those front bezels can be tricky to open. I got a couple rubber bungs for it.

Another of the zooms was a Tokina (80-200mm/4). There was instructions to dismantle it in mflenses but I can't find the article right now.

Here is article about another Tokina zoom.

http://forum.mflenses.com/how-to-disassemble-tokina-atx-80-200-f2-8-t51524,highl ight,%2Btokina+%2B80+%2B200.html

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. The construction certainly looks the same on that lens. I will give it a try.

Thank you Seismo. I really appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration