Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 430ez - electronic works but do... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon 430ez - electronic works but don't charge and don't fires « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marcellobotte
Tinkerer
Username: Marcellobotte

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to everybody. Fist of all i want to apologize for my very bad english (I'm from Italy).

Then I have a problem that I hope someone can help me to fix : I got from granfather's garage a Canon speedlite 430EZ that seems new estetically, but don't work fine. I'll try to explain better : It turn ok fine, all the controls works fine, zoom head works fine, but it doesn't charge (there is no charging noise after I turn it on) and don't fires on camera (eos 650 and eos 5) or with the "pilot" button. Can anyone help me understand what is wrong? Is it possible to fix it? thak you very much

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 532

Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum. First thing you need to do is toss the old batteries, and clean the battery connections, as it has been stored for a while, and they could be oxidized over. Or the batteries may have leaked, and corroded the springs and contact plates inside the battery well.

Sometimes, it just takes a pencil with an eraser on the end to reach in and clean the internal springs and contact plates. I like to use a fiberglass pen, which can be purchased at any electronics store that sells PC board etching kits.

But if you see some green and white residue on the contacts, then they have corroded from the battery leakage, and will have to be cleaned with some white vinegar (acetal). You put some on a cotton swab, coat the contacts with it, wait a few minutes for it to do it's work, then use a clean cotton swab with plain water to neutralize the vinegar. Then let it dry, and clean with the pencil eraser. Try not to use too much vinegar or water, as it can creep inside the body of the flash, and cause more problems.

After all that, insert some fresh batteries (in the proper orientation), and see if it works. If not, then you may have a capacitor problem, as they will go bad with no use after a long time. Then again, sometimes you just need to turn it on, and let it sit for some time while the capactitor "reforms" itself.

If it still doesn't work, then it's time to buy another one.

Good luck.

PF

Marcellobotte
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, thank you for the answer. The battery compartment is perfect and the flash turn on with no problem ( all the controls works - mode button, zoom head button, second curtain button, lcd display, zoom head motor) but it doesn't charge and doesn't fire in any way. I also noticed that on camera (eos 5 and eos 650) the "auto zoom" mode don't work when I change the focal lenght of the zoom lens.

I tried to let the flash on for about 20-30 minutes but nothing changed. To reform the capacitor I shuold let it on for more than that?

can i change the capacitor? thank you

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 79

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are using rechargeable batteries or used batteries, that could be a problem. I am assuming that you are using new batteries and still have a charging problem. If it appears that the capacitor is not charging, it's not safe to assume so. Attempting to change the capacitor, or deal with it in any way could be very dangerous as if fully charged it has the capability TO KILL YOU.

I don't remember ever using capital letters here before but this is a high capacity flash and the charge in the capacitor can be extremely dangerous to you. There are ways to safely proceed with a capacitor service but I am hesitant to even post it as the risk to the inexperienced repairer is huge.

Take the advice of the previous poster and just buy another one.

Don't worry about your english- it's excellent.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 535

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it could be any number of things then. Since it partially works, doesn't charge the capacitor, and doesn't zoom, then it could be a controller problem. In which case, you are looking at replacing the PC board. Definitely time to buy another one, and keep this one for parts, in case you damage the body of the second one. Or sell it for parts, to recoup some of the cost of the replacement.

PF

Marcellobotte
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the answers. I've seen on youtube that newer strobes (like 580ex) have a little hole under the rubber caps at the sides of the head. Inside of this hole you can put a wire linked to a resistor to discharge the capacitor safely (in the description of the video the autor says it's specifically made for the repair technician to do it) . I tried then to remove the rubber caps on my flash, but I've found nothing similar, so I decided not to take any risk and brought it to an electrical repair shop that maybe can fix it for a low price.

Thank you all for the assistance, and at least I can be happy my english is not that bad. :D

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 536

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope they can do good for you.

PF

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 258

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let us know how things worked out for you. I also own a Canon 430EZ which doesn't work properly. Mine turns on and all the controls work, and it even fires, but the flash output is about 1/4 strength at all settings -- doesn't matter what I set it to, it puts out about 1/4 strength. There are a few other things that don't work, like the multi-flash control. I believe the problem with mine lies with the main circuit control board and that, if Canon were doing the repair, they would most likely replace the entire circuit board. But the flash is so old now, that this is no longer an option. And I'll bet yours is in the same situation. But if your electronic guy is able to get yours working, be sure and let us know, okay?

Marcellobotte
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course no problem, I'll let you know.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration