Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Black Konica C35 lens ring removal? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Black Konica C35 lens ring removal? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't find anything in the Archives... On the "Black" version Konica C35, the decorative silver front lens ring must be removed before I can get to the spanner ring in the filter thread. How does this come off? I tried un-screwing it but don't want to force it if this is not the proper way. Thanks

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, it seems I bought another Lemon.(only $7) I've looked at other Black C35's online and none of them have the chrome ring I'm talking about. I have no idea how the previous owners retrofitted the thing. Probably a part from another camera. Other than that it looks good. I may get away with not having to dig into the lens anyway, I've hacked a wiring job and the wires to the CDS cell and meter are good, now I just can't get the damn wires to solder onto the battery case. I HATE soldering. Sorry for the unnecessary post.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 440

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck with the soldering. That is one reason why I shy away from C35's. I can never get the solder to stick.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 534

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get some flux paste from the plumbing section of the hardware store. Put a bit on the place you want to solder, then heat it with the iron (recommend nothing bigger than 15w) to clean the surface. Scrub it with a wire brush (preferably brass), then dab a little of the flux on it again, and it will be ready to solder.

On your wire you are attaching, dip it in the flux, then apply some solder to it. This is called "tinning", and helps when you go to solder the final joint. You can also do this to the tab on the battery well you are trying to solder to.

When you are done, clean the joint with some alcohol to remove any flux residue.

Too bad about the bodge job on the lens mounting. Drop a photo here, and maybe the collective can put their few remaining neurons to good use, and figure it out for you.

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank's Phil, I ended up drilling tiny holes in the tabs and got it that way. This is funny, I managed to get the chrome ring off, it was just slipped on and underneath was a beautiful like new filter ring. I liken it to tearing up the old carpet and finding a beautiful hardwood floor underneath. Who ever put it on even scratched lines in it for reference marks.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once the wires have started to rot away the is no holding back the damage. It is NOT possible to solder the oxidised strands, that is why it is necessary to put in NEW wires.
I hope you don't mind me saying flux paste is used in plumbing, I would not use it in electronic circuitry and/or a camera, although I must confess I was tempted to use it when soldering battery boxes of vintage K auto S 2s, another awful job after mercury battery leakage.
I do remember a debate about the strange phenomenon of "black wire corrosion" a good while ago, in it someone said it was so called not because the black wires were affected by it, but because the copper strands inside turned black due to heavy corrosion.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 77

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank's Nueberger. Luckily this camera's wiring has never been tampered with (unlike my first C35) so it was fairly easy, after finally getting into the front of the lens, to replace the Black wire, (except for the stubborn battery tabs) I've tested the system and hope to get it cleaned up and put back together tonight.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration