Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aires Viscount top removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Aires Viscount top removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 320

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having difficulty with an Aires Viscount. Either someone has used a thread locking fluid on the rewind crank or I am doing something very wrong. Does the rewind crank unscrew in the standard way (jam the fork and just unscrew it)? Could it possibly be a left hand thread?

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 101

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember having any challenges getting it off of mine. Do check for small set-screws, but that's unlikely on a budget-priced camera like the Viscount. I think you'll need some Acetone or Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 173

Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't handled a Viscount, but I know the Aires 35-IIIL has a set screw which has to be removed to get the knob off. I'm guessing you already checked for that?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 321

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked for set screws. I finally just forced it and it came off. It had something like black paint in the threads. I assume there is some kind of ring or washer that is supposed to go in that groove on the shaft? I bought this thing on eBay and the guy carefully shot the photos so it would avoid showing three missing parts. Fortunately, I can fix it anyway and I think I can fabricate the three pieces.

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That groove in the shaft should match a bent wire spring clip inside the camera, which keeps it from falling back in when pulled all the way up. Not essential, just makes it easier to change film.

This clip is missing on my parts camera.

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 104

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weak point on the camera is the links to cock the shutter. Design is obvious once you tear the camera down. You can get all the way to the shutter through the front, start by removing dress ring, all very obvious. Shutter is held to helical by a ring in the back, but accessible with spanner wrench.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 325

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
It's missing on mine too (the clip). I put a spring on the shaft, inside of the camera, to hold it down until I need to change film.

The shutter is clean and accurate. However, it is also loose. I understand that there is a plate somewhere with some screws I need to tighten. Do you know how to get at that?

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 105

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is held in place by a retaining ring in the rear of the camera, inside the focusing mount.

But check to be sure that's really what's loose, there's a lot of layers screwed onto the front of the shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration