Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What mount is this? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » What mount is this? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ah693973
Tinkerer
Username: Ah693973

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Pentax H1 and lenses from a nice older guy and can't figure out what the mounts are for the Schneider Curtagon 35mm 2.8 and Tele-Xenar 135mm 3.5.

They work fine as a M42 mount, but there is more mechanism there that I have not been able to find any information on. Both aperture and shutter speed are adjustable on the camera body and it looks like they have an window and cam mechanism to transmit the information back to the camera body. There is a ring that rotates about 90 degrees that sits flush with the mating surface of the M42 mount.

The guy I bought it from said he picked it up while stationed in Turkey in about 1963. That was all he could tell me about it though.

Strange M42 mount

Any ideas? Thanks,

Andy

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 538

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoa, never seen one of them. But my best guess is it came off an old Exacta.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 539

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found your answer.

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Schneider%20page.htm

PF

Ah693973
Tinkerer
Username: Ah693973

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Br,

So it is a lens with a built in light meter (missing) that mounts on M42. In my search for info I had seen these but didn't put together that is what it was.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1074

Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An overly complicated solution, more of an 'add on' than a 'built in' and the Weston Master III or IV would give far more accurate and useable readings for the professional of the day. Never really sure where they thought the market would be for this contraption - optically you could not fault them, however, the high cost pushed them out of the reach of all but the very deep pocketed amateur and the limited light reading ability of the meters did not endear them to the professional. Thank heavens the 'Spotmatic' appeared when it did. Although on that subject, the TTL system in the original Praktica Mat could give far superior results under certain lighting conditions. Sadly, the East German ethos of building down to a price produced quirky mechanisms and strange faults which condemned the camera to oblivion. Still my lump, one of two purchased by the Company in 1966, still produces images that are on a par with any TTL body that uses film as its medium.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration