Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Power supply for a Hasselblad 500 EL/M Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Power supply for a Hasselblad 500 EL/M « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George
Tinkerer
Username: George

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have a couple of Hasselblad 500 EL/M with the original NiCad DEAC battery. These have not been in service for a while to the bateries are totally empty.

The original power supplies are marked 60mA. They do provide a voltage but don't seem to provide enough current to either charge the batteries or power the camera.

I have fabricated a 400 mA 6V supply which does both. It will charge the batteries a allow the camera to be operated from a mains supply.

How can this be?

Why is the original power supply not working, but my uprated one is?

Thanks for any help,

George

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1075

Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a number of factors, which I am sure others here are far more qualified to talk about/explain than yours truly. However from the practical - seen that, done this side of the camp - I have come across many old/unused NiCads of your type that needed 10 times the rated charge to get them to function and hold SOME charge. The outcome being that a few packs eventually appeared to 'revive' and worked on original charger, others only worked with the higher charge rate and eventually died. I just put this down to the natural life span of these cells and the internal aging of the 'chemistry'.

I have come across two chargers when the copper conductors on the output leads were badly corroded and produced very high resistance readings - this interfering with the low charging current. However, I do not think this is the cause of you not being able to work the system off the mains with the 60 mA. power pack. I presume that the cells have to be in place when system is run off mains supply? Thus suspect that it is the high internal resistance of the aged and degraded cells that stop the system working from mains - all to do with how the circuit is configured.

No doubt the more knowledgeable will correct and put me in my place!

George
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info.

I will leave the batteries to charge for a good while and see if this can get them to work.

Failing that, I might discard the dead batteries and fabricating an adapter from a 9V cell.

George

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 107

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That form factor of NiCd battery just isn't made anymore. I would not recommend trying to buy a new-old-stock one.

Looks like the best deal is the adapter from "Nine Volt".

Website: http://www.nine-volt.com/main/hasselblad-battery-adapter.php

eBay listing (much cheaper): http://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-Battery-Adapter-for-Hasselblad-500EL-500ELM-500ELX-50 0-EL-ELM-ELX-EL-M-EL-X-/320957572411?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4aba8fe53b

Also on eBay, from China, is an adapter to use a CR-P2 Lithium battery. Lithium batteries are very long-lived.

George
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. I made an adapter with a couple of brass pins, a old 35mm film canister and a 9v battery connector.

Works like a dream.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration