Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lubitel 166+ lenses are too tight Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lubitel 166+ lenses are too tight « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ryanesta
Tinkerer
Username: Ryanesta

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I've had a Lubitel 166+ (from Lomography) for a year or so now and it is hands down my favorite camera. Recently, I took a trip to Mexico and when I got back, I think someone inspecting my bags tampered with my camera. Now, when I turn the lens to focus, it gets REALLY tight and it used to be buttery smooth, gliding all the way from 0.8 to infinity.

It's to the point where it hurts your fingers when you turn it's so tight, which basically made me so mad that I stopped taking photos for a while. I tried calling every camera repair shop I could find, even emailing some ones online and none of them want to touch this camera. So that's when I stumbled upon this site.

I read online that a little petroleum jelly helps to make it rotate but it only helped a little bit. I'm really bummed because I paid $250 for this camera and since I bought it on ebay, Lomography will not repair it. I don't want to have to shell out another $250 or more for this camera since photography isn't my profession or anything (yet). Has anyone had this problem before?

Keep in mind, I have ZERO experience with taking apart cameras. But if you know of any way, please let me know!

Also, here is a side view of the lenses:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40674270/Lubitel.jpg

It may be hard to tell, but it looks like the top lens is being pushed up a little bit and the bottom lens pushed down. Essentially, I think they may be too close to each other, which is why it is so tight to turn. And that red mark on the hotshoe metal thing? Yeah, that was done by US customs as well. Apparently they have no regard for personal belongings when it comes to travel.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 542

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could have been dropped. Hard to tell from the gear teeth, as I don't see much deformation. Take a tooth brush to the gears to make sure they are clean. Get a straight edge (a metal ruler will do), and place it across the lenses to see if there is a gap towards the center or the ends. This will tell you which way any misalignment is.

PF

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 118

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look inside the back of the camera, you should see that the lower lens / shutter assembly is attached by (either 3 or 4) screws. By loosening these screws - there is little play in the screw holes - it should be possible to move the lower lens very slightly away from the upper lens, thus allowing them to rotate more freely.Try to keep the gears meshed together otherwise you will lose the focus.

($250 for a Lubitel! If you can't fix it do consider getting a better TLR, for example a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord, or a Minolta Autocord)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration