Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Weirdness with Leica IIIf rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Weirdness with Leica IIIf rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnnyo55
Tinkerer
Username: Johnnyo55

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently inherited a "basket case" IIIf that, underneath the mostly gone vulcanite and dirt, lurks a surprisingly good condition camera. The shutter was balky so I tore it down and fixed that, along with lubing the gear train, etc. Vulcanite's on order from Aki-Asahi. The only "problem" I didn't address was one involving the rangefinder. I know that it's pretty common to have dim or moldy rangefinders, but in this case the problem seems to be with the coupling arm...it is able to swing freely back and forth, with no spring loading of any sort to return it to the forward position. I was frankly too worn out after dealing with the incredibly crowded "guts" of this camera to try and deal with disassembling the rangefinder as well.

Has anybody else had this type of problem? All I've seen by fishing around online was the other types of RF problems (dirt or lost silvering), which seem to be pretty common....

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spring is around the screw for horizontal infinity adjustment. It's a compression coil spring. It's held in by a screw-in bushing on the front of the rangefinder assembly, which has the hole in the middle through which you adjust the set-screw. The set-screw goes loosely through the middle of the spring.

Leica service manual here: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/leica_iiif.pdf

See "Sheet 10.1". The spring is part 216-292, the bushing is part 216-291. I'm sure DAG can sell you a spring, but you can probably find something close enough.

Johnnyo55
Tinkerer
Username: Johnnyo55

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Turns out it was just stuck...a LEETLE drop of oil and some exercise, and now its working fine. Without your tip, I wouldn't have known where to put it...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration