Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIc shutter button stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina IIIc shutter button stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clivec
Tinkerer
Username: Clivec

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a seemingly good conditioned Retina IIIc a couple of months ago and I'm slowly working my way through the first roll. Today after a couple of shots, the shutter button jammed and I cannot depress it at all. All other functions seem okay and when I depress the button next to the film advance, I can wind to the next frame. I was about 15 shots into a roll of 36.

I had the camera in the car , so I'm concerned maybe some kind of vibration may have caused the issue. It was in its leather case, in a camera bag though.

Any ideas what happened and how I can fix it?

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 76

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Clive,

If the shutter isn't cocked, then you cannot depress the shutter release button.

If you can wind to the next frame after pressing the film release, then the problem is that the shutter is failing to cock.

Either the shutter-cocking rack is stripped or the shutter is gunked-up and failing to latch in the cocked position.

Regards, Chris

Clivec
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that mechanism easy to get to and clean?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 442

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this may seem simple, but have you checked if the film counter has reached 0? If it has, it won't allow you to trip the shutter. Try advancing the film counter manually and see if it helps.

Clivec
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Waynemel, I thought of the same thing at first, but the counter is currently at 15. I ran across this unique feature of Retinas when I was first shopping for it.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 77

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stripping down the shutter, cleaning and lubricating it is much the same as for any Compur type shutter, so if you have worked on leaf-blade shutters before you'll know what to expect.

If you haven't, then you are in for an adventure.

You need to remove the front lens group, and the retaining ring underneath it, which is locked with a small screw.

The shutter-speed setting dial and associated stuff should lift off to expose the works, so you can see if there is anything wrong in the shutter.

Don't try and cock the shutter while you have the front rings off, you won't like the way stuff pops off.

If the shutter-cocking rack is stripped, on the other hand, then it needs replacement, which is another task altogether.

Regards, Chris

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes it is and as Chris can tell you , replacement of the cocking rack is a much easier task than Overhaul of the Shutter. In fact Chris gives detailed instructions on doing it on his website --WWW.Chris's camera pages .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration