Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon d5 shutter sensor repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon d5 shutter sensor repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oatsybob
Tinkerer
Username: Oatsybob

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, this is my first post. I'm not an expert on these things, but I love to tinker with electronics. I recently bought a Nikon d5 from Craigslist that the owner said had a broken "shutter sensor". I've heard of a shutter and a sensor, but never a shutter sensor. The camera turned on (before I took it apart anyway) but the shutter didn't fire. Something rattles around when I shake the camera. I've isolated the noise to the general area of the shutter. I guess my question is: is there such thing as a shutter sensor, and if so how can I fix it?

Oatsybob
Tinkerer
Username: Oatsybob

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops didn't realize this is a film camera repair forum. MY BAD

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 544

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We won't hold that against you, Bob.

Not what I would call a DIY kind of camera repair, tearing into a D5. But you may have some drop damage. Whether it's the so-called shutter sensor, or something else, you've got a big job ahead of you getting that thing apart, and back together in working order.

And as far as getting replacement parts, that could be problematic. Not too many independent places are going to be selling individual parts since Nikon cut most of them out of the supply chain. And the authorized repair shops most likely won't either. A parts camera is not going to be inexpensive.

Wish you all the luck in the world.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration