Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FRii rewind/ shutter release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica FRii rewind/ shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

5wp
Tinkerer
Username: 5wp

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Having problems with the rewind/shutter release not working.
Also self timer does not work, but this is a secondary problem.
Any suggestions, directions to go.
I'm used to micro devices but I need directions.
Thank

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 82

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to have to ask, but is there a fresh battery installed, and if so, is the battery check light working?

I'm also assuming that the "rewind" problem is actually a "wind" problem. Is that correct?

5wp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the battery is a bit old, but indicates ok. Battery check
light works, as well as the light meter.
To say it is a rewind problem is my interpretation of why it
doesn't work. This problem is not consistent which makes it a
bit confusing to pin down.
After cocking the lever, sometimes the shutter release won't work. Also the film indicator doesn't show that it has
advanced. It seems that the shutter release is a bit slow and I
have to press it twice to get it to open the shutter.
That for your reply.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 443

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't speak to the other issues, but the film advance indicator not working is a common problem on the FR. There is a small nylon gear that splits and no longer transmits the movement of the film advance to the indicator dial. The gear needs to be replaced or repaired.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 83

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the release problem, two things come to mind. The shutter release switch is a leaf type which can develop corrosion, etc. over time and degrade the contact. To clean it, the top of the camera will have to come off.

The other possibility is at the bottom of the camera where an electromagnet has to overcome a permanent magnet in order to trigger the shutter.

I think most FR II's have a remote cable release connection on the top back just next to the meter switch. It may have a black plastic plug in it. You can try shorting the contacts and see if it releases the shutter. If so, your main shutter release switch is probably the culprit. If not, try a new battery.

5wp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the info.
Waynemel, where is this gear located, how do I get to it, etc?

5wp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also should of asked, what is the name of this gear so I know
what to call it when I go looking for one?

Michael_linn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The name of the gear should probably be "out of stock for 20 years".

But it can usually be repaired. I have done it many times. Try this link:

http://www.cdegroot.com/photo-yashica/fr1-repair/

It used to have photos, but this is probably the best you will get at this time.

5wp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Michael_linn much appreciated.
Now to start the micro surgery.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration