Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens paint Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lens paint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gardener
Tinkerer
Username: Gardener

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone recommend a very flat black paint (US-available brand) for inner metal parts of the lenses?

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 116

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too would like to know what people are using. I've been using Testor's flat black, available at my local hobby/model store. Very cheap and seems to work, but I'm worried I might be using a paint that offgasses something bad for my glass. Especially so right now because I just used some in a favorite Leica lens of mine. I don't think there's been enough elapsed time to see if there are any ill effects in my other lens repairs (2-4 years).

Eagerly awaiting expert opinions...

Gardener
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume you use spray?

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 118

Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the tiny bottle of flat black enamel. And I mean they're tiny bottles, but seem to be enough for lots of use. I use a small brush to apply.

If this isn't the best paint to use, I'd like to know. There must be someone on this forum who can offer an opinion.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1076

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never let a spray paint near a piece of optical glass! The mist is a devil to see and clean off. I have used Humbrol flat black for years, but any equivalent modelers enamel paint will be OK - Revel used to market same type of tinlets and as mentioned, Testor do same in bottle. Repainted my first Leitz optic in 1964 and lens is still clear and clean - did edges of elements as well.

With a background in industrial chemistry with an industry that blended their own paint formulations, I doubt that any of the proper oil based enamel paints available to the modeling world will damage optical coatings or glass. Just let the paint dry properly in a warm atmosphere for 24 hours and only overcoat when first coat is properly dry.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 119

Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very reassuring. Thanks Glenn.

Gardener
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to paint the entire inner surface of the barrel. I doubt I can do it evenly with a brush

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1077

Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done all the interior paintwork on lens barrels, camera bodies and the likes of lens hoods etc with a set of flat sable brushes. I originally purchased these in the early 1960's when I used to construct Billing Boat Kits for various UK model shops to use as display items. The brushes range in size from 3/16" to 1" in width and are as good today as they were when purchased. A couple of duplicates - 3/8" and 1/2" - have been modified by bending the metal ferrule 90 degs to the wooden handle. This modification allows the interior of lens barrels and other tight interiors to be evenly painted. All the flat/matt enamels for modelers that I have come across brush on very evenly when applied by a good brush. The secret in brush painting is no different to any other repair job - use the correct brush for the job in hand and buy the best you can afford. Most importantly clean and wash the brush immediately after the job is finished. Never leave this type of brush standing in solvent or cleaner, the business end needs to remain compact and straight. Only the worn paintwork on my brush handles gives any indication that they have seen years of use.

If you cannot bend the ferrule then cut it off and make a new handle from a length of 3/8" or 1/2" square timber. Drill a hole at one end to push the ferrule into and sand off the corners at the opposite end to give a comfortable grip.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bending tip is good. I bought my brushes from the local craft/art supply store. In the U.S. those would be Michaels, or JoAnn (at least in my area). I bet the hobby/model store would have decent brushes too, but the ones I got were meant for serious artists (painters).

Not that difficult to get an even coverage for me. Never did large areas, but I would just take my time.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 328

Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would depend a whole lot on how you were planning to do it. Are you stripping all the old paint off first or painting over it? Spray or brush? Brass, steel or aluminum? Primed or unprimed?

Gardener
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the end, after reading modeling sites I bought a can of flat black Krylon. After practicing a bit on smaller pieces like retainer rings and spacers I am very satisfied with the quality - you have to develop feel for it but the paint itself is just the right color and texture. I will now start trying my hand on larger objects. Paint and brushes setup sounded nice, but at the moment I do not feel like investing in it more than the lens is worth.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 300

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Krylon Ultra Flat Black.. about the flattest black paint on the market.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 301

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And if you want you can spray the paint into a cup n brush it on.

Gardener
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I figured out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration