Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 Slow speeds stick Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta SRT 101 Slow speeds stick « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I've just acquired a Minolta SRT 101 in which the slow speeds from 1/8 to 1 second all stick with the shutter wide open.

I've popped the top off and had a look at the slow speed escapement and I can see that there seems to be a toothed block engaging the slow gears on the end nearest the frame counter and if I release that the shutter closes. I can't work out how this is supposed to work.

Any one out there any clue what might be wrong here?

Thanks

Ronnie

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 139

Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a website I have bookmarked with some srt info concerning the shutter.

http://www.willegal.net/photo/photo-first_page.htm

Go to the SRT tune up section.

I have never had to open mine up so others may offer more specific information.

Good Luck

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1301

Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you've already gotten the top off, you've done the hard part. Get a can of Zippo or Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid and apply a drop or two to the escapement gears, and the shutter will probably start running fine again.

In the escapement, there is a rocker with 2 teeth on it - this is called the pallet - and a wheel that looks like a gear but with sharp pointed teeth - this is called the star wheel. The teeth of the pallet engage the teeth of the star wheel so that the wheel can turn only by forcing the pallet to rock back and forth. The inertia of the pallet creates the time delay, which through the gears becomes the controlling element for the shutter speeds. It is generally the pallet and star wheel which get sticky over time... apply a drop of lighter fluid to the shafts of these 2 parts. The gears downstream are less likely to be the cause of sluggish operation.

Oh, one other note: If you have not already done so, do not loosen or remove the screws that attach the escapement assembly to the camera. These screws are in oversized holes that allow the assembly to be shifted back and forth for adjustment, and if you loosen it you will need to get it back into its original position for the speeds to be correct.

I have sketches on the SRT - email me at rick_oleson@yahoo.com if you'd like a copy.

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys !

Rick, you may be right it's the pallet which I need to move away to get the system to run. I did loosen the screws so I'll check it all again once I get some fluid in there. The reason I didn't flush it already was because I thought the gears seemed to be running fine since you seem to be able to turn them easilt with the shutter cocked. Now I know how it works I can have another look.

I'll email you for the drawings and then report back here when I've had another go.

Thanks again !

Ronnie

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2013 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big thank you to Rick and Denny. Slow speeds now working fine after flushing the pallet and star wheel.

I've bookmarked the SRT tune up page !!

Ronnie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration