Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Optima Sensor Flash Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Agfa Optima Sensor Flash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 444

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't seem to get this camera to work. I have fresh batteries, the indicator lights and flash ready lights work. The film advance works (with and without film loaded). When I press the shutter release it makes noise, but the shutter does not fire (neither does the flash). I have put a couple of drops of naphta on the blades, but they still don't move.
Am I missing something?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 547

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the one with the fold-over flash unit? Does it need to have film in it to operate? I've got a couple of P&S's that won't do much unless you load them first. That's why I keep old rolls of film around that I find in cameras.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 445

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is the one with the fold over flash.
I'v tried it with an old roll of film, and it still doesn't work.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 548

Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Next thing is to open it up, and clean all the contacts inside. Most everything works on slider type switches in P&S cameras, so therin may be your problem.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 449

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've opened it up and found the culprit. A small plastic part has a hook for a spring that is broken.
You can see it in the following pictures.
The hook is in the centre. I have tried to repair it with gorilla glue, but it isn't strong enough.
The spring looks like it is supposed to hold the larger plastic part (with the large lobe) in the upward position (as it is in the photos). When the film is advanced, the lobe is pushed down and locked into place, and the shutter is ready to fire. Of course, without the spring, the lobe stays in the lower position and thus the shutter doesn't open.
Now, I guess I will have to try to find a replacement part, but this camera isrelatively rare (in North America anyway). I believe the Optima 535 shares the same shutter though.
Optima Sensor Flash 1

Optima Sensor Flash 2

Optima Sensor Flash 3

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 552

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 535 would be easier to find, but then by that time you may have forgotten about this one, Wayne. Epoxy is usually the best for putting broken plastic parts back together with holding power.

I thought about collecting the Optima Sensor line at one time, but usually only found junk ones, so I gave up. Good luck with fixing this one.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 452

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repaired the broken piece and the shutter and aperture blades are opening in closing. The flash is also working. However, the shutter speeds seem to be constant. How can I test the electromagnet to see if it is working correctly? Any other reasons why the shutter speed is not changing with various light conditions?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration