Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Junk in Canon lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Junk in Canon lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just today received a 1951 Canon III Rangefinder I bought, It is in beautiful condition and seems to work perfectly , if I can just figure out how to load it, never had anything this close to a Leica before.
The one strange problem I found is siome kind of strange junk inside the lens. When I first saw it I thought the aperture blades had fallen out, but thats not it , the aperture works perfect. I have attached a couple of not too hot pics of the gunk, looks almost like flakes of black paint , BIG ONES . Any idea what it might be ?

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rats , Forgot the pics!!!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 446

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flakes of paint from the inside surfaces of the lens?

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose that's possible , however I can not see any evidence that there is paint inside lens and also see no sign of chipping if there is paint there.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never having had a seranar lens , I have not been inside one . It should present no unusual problems to remove the rear element to get these critters out , or will it?

Dxqcanada
Tinkerer
Username: Dxqcanada

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be able to get through to the interior from the rear.

You will need a couple of spanning wrenches.

http://jelabs.blogspot.ca/2011/04/canon-serenar-f18-50mm-ltm-lens.html

Dxqcanada
Tinkerer
Username: Dxqcanada

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instruction Manual

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_iii-a_iv-s/canon_iii-a_iv-s.htm

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 551

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard of paint flakes inside lenses before. Just never seen any that big. But it is an old lens, so anything is possible. Once you get it open, you may want to put some Testors Military Flats Black on it, or the Krylon equivilent.

And in the future, please be so nice as to stack your photos, instead of putting them on the same line.

Thanks,

PF

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 123

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paint flakes.

Not that unusual in an old Serenar. Where was this camera stored for the last many years?

I've been inside a few Serenar lenses (50mm, 28mm, 135mm). You're in luck. They're all straightforward. Almost enjoyable. The 50/1.8 has a bit of reputation for hazing too. Might as well clean those elements while your inside. Funny, there was a recent thread on this forum about painting inside a lens; I've been using Testors Flat Black and a small decent quality brush. Again, should be no problem. Once you're done with your repairs and cleaning, you will have a really great lens. A favorite of mine.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since these "Flakes " move so freely around inside the lens which would be least difficult,taking the front element out to reach them or the rear? They do appear to be between the front element and the center.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BR--- The pictures are stacked on my screen, try Google chrome , some others put them inline. I would not like that either.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1304

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd probably try going in the front first.

Negative elements are thin at the center and very thick at the edge - the big beveled edge has to be painted black to control flare in the lens. Even if the paint has not come off, if you see light-colored areas in the paint when looking at it through the glass, you should scrape the loose paint off and repaint it (I just use black Testors model paint). Air bubbles between the paint and the glass will defeat its anti-reflection purpose.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 553

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HCF, I'm tired of everyone telling me I HAVE to use some other program than what I am using. Don't programmers go by any standards anymore? I could rant on, but this isn't a computer forum. But I do know that no matter how it looks on your screen, if you don't use line breaks, they come out in a line on more than just my screen.

The serenar should not be a hard lens to take apart, as I've de-hazed a later version quite easily. It's a pretty straightforward construction, but you do need spanners.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration