Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 60 wind stroke Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kiev 60 wind stroke « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rudybustamante
Tinkerer
Username: Rudybustamante

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*I've already posted this on photo.net, so apologies if you've been subjected to it twice..*

Hi, I'm wondering if any Kiev 60 owners/experts could answer me a question - I've had a thorough search for an existing thread, and either my Google skills are slipping or there hasn't been one.

Basically, after putting a test roll through my Kiev 60, the spacing was WAY off. It took 7 strokes to get to the number 1 on the backing paper, then 2 strokes for the second. As far as I can tell, it's because the wind stroke only starts winding the film halfway through - but it DOES start cocking the shutter right away (or at least there's sound and moving cogs on the left side - the black wheel only starts spinning shortly before the film will wind). So rather than being a problem with the winding lever in general, it appears to be just with the film winding mechanism. If it's relevant, the mirror only engages right at the end of the stroke

I've used the 'Kiev 60 Kalibration' site to remove the top of the camera to see if I could eyeball a diagnosis, but it's all too dense there to make out.

So my questions are - has anyone come across this problem?
More relevant to the average user, what SHOULD a 'proper' Kiev 60 wind look/sound like?
Any suggestions regarding a possible fix?

If anyone would like any further information or pictures I'll try to post tehm up quickly

Many thanks for any help - I can't in good conscience resell a camera malfunctioning like this, and it's not possible to return, so a solution would be much appreciated. I've repaired/relubed some 3 FSU rangefinders and 6-odd lenses, but the Kiev seems far more complex than any of them

[...]

Quick update - looking into the wind mechanism at eye level -

the wedge-shaped piece that rotates with the wind lever, and moves with it through the stroke, only engages with the other half (this being the action that starts the film winding) about halfway. With the lever at zero, it sits at the 10-11 o'clock position. This would be at the 3rd 'layer' of gears etc counting up from the lip of the camera body (lots more layers below)

I'm thinking any fix would involve moving this further anti-clockwise. It's so far down in the mechanism that it seems I'd have to dismantle a large chunk of it. Not too confident...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jdvores
Tinkerer
Username: Jdvores

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you still have this opened up? I can try opening up my Kiev 60 and comparing with your description.

I don't want to bother if you've already given up though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration