Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101b: Faulty light meter ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta SRT 101b: Faulty light meter (again) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Srt101bdude
Tinkerer
Username: Srt101bdude

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone. First thing I'd like to write is that it's awesome how informative this board is! This is my first post but I have read many so far around this specific problem of the faulty Minolta SRT light meters.

What's weird about my one is that it was initially completely dead. The person I bought it from told me to use the flash and that would fix it. The flash kind of jump started it, but when I set it to B.C, it only gets about half way to where it should be. It seems to respond when it is 'on' but I can't be sure that it has a full range of motion.

It took me about half a day to finally get the top off, but once it was off - I'll admit - I can't find that bloody needle. Where is it!? How can I diagnose what is wrong, and where is this sticky foam? There is some black foam that is attached to the top, is that it?

I have absolutely no experience with camera repair, so, your crudest/most blunt explanations please :-)

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 83

Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even the "crudest/most blunt explanations" will most probably NOT help you solve your problem. The "needle" is underneath the prism, so without basic skills and tools ...
Would you, as a beginner, start a motorcycle engine repair or open up the gas stove for finding out why the heck it does not work?
Don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of possible reasons for the fault you describe, ranging from mechanical to electrical issues.
So what about a fresh battery first and some cleaning of contacts in the battery chamber and the BC-on-off switch first?
All the vintage SLRs are now old enough to develop issues like deteriorating foam light seals. In the SRTs there is a lot of foam used around the prism, parts inside the viewfinder are affected by bits and pieces of old glue and/or other debris affecting needle movement. Wires are often corroded and will have to be replaced.
It took me ages and dozens of easier cameras before I was able to restore an SRT, maybe you are more talented/courageous, anyway, I wish you a lot of luck, you will need it.
Perhaps this link will help you decide your next steps or serve as a guideline: http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/srt-repairs.htm

Srt101bdude
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey thanks for responding! See, given instructions I have the dexterity and the patience to do them, but, I don't know about diagnosing or anything like that.

I don't reckon that it is a battery problem because I put in a brand new battery and it responds and turns on. It really looks like it is getting stuck because there is one point that it just does not go past. Everything else about the camera is pristine, so I'm assuming it is the foam issue.

I know that willegal page :-) But he doesn't go into detail about finding the meter and cleaning it, it's the one part where he goes silent...so, naturally, you can see where I'm a bit stuck.

It wouldn't be TOO big of a problem, but I just developed a roll and I can see that I don't have a lot of skill in estimating exposure. I'm going with the sunny 16 rule but I'm not too accurate... Any other ideas?

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 84

Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a four page repair manual in the "repair manuals" section in this forum, but just the last page shows the metering wiring schematic diagram.
All the other useful sources on the net are no longer existing, I am afraid, except some loose ends, like this one:
http://reptron.dyndns.org/MinoltaSLRs/recal.html
There once was a Spanish based reliable source, but it seems to be gone too. Maybe someone else reading this has a copy.
Not so long ago there were full copies of SRT repair manuals on offer via ebay in the US (not too expensive).
Maybe also a search in the archives right here can be of some use.
Ripping the meter unit out (incl prism, etc.) is not too demanding, but reassembly and calibration probably is. I have done that several times, but in each case there were unexpected problems waiting like broken wires, CdS cells that did not survive the dismantling routine etc., so you can never be sure to get all the parts back again. That is why carefully taking notes and sketches is essential.

Srt101bdude
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if there isn't anything, there isn't anything. I've searched through this sites archives as well, but nothing specific, you know? I may just bite the bullet and take it to be repaired. Thanks for your help though

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration