Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bessa 66 [baby bessa] counter stuck o... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bessa 66 [baby bessa] counter stuck on number 8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello my name is sean ....can anyone help me with my new camera... its a bessa 66 ,,its in mint condition and came with manual] shutter firing on all speeds.. the only problem i can find wrong with this camera is the counter window housed on the top is stuck on number 8.... this counter has;t to be set to 0..before film loaded ... i have tripped the double exposure mechanism via film roller inside to no avail .. rewind wheel on top of camera is stuck also theres a slide switch that doesn;t seem to do anything / any help please]

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try turning the film winder and the inside roller both at the same time [clockwise].If the film winder does not turn,cock the shutter and press the shutter release on the door down firmly as far as it will go.Then repeat turning the film winder and roller. If it still won't turn,you will have to remove the top plate of the camera to find what has jammed,and if pressing the shutter release actuates the double exposure mechanism.
The slide switch on my one only works when you reach exposure no 12,when it resets it to 0.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi fidji ,,, thanks for your suggestion// just tried it and still no joy .. can u ignore the counter window and just use the red window... if u take the top off how do u know whats jammed

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say that the film wind is stuck,so you will not be able to wind on the film.If you can get it to turn,you can use the camera with just the red window.
I have come across a couple of Bessa 66 where the double exposure mechanism has been disabled.This may be quite a common DIY fix that previous owners had attempted in order to continue use of the camera.
If you remove the top and put the winder back in place,you will see what is stopping the winder turning when you activate the film roller and the shutter release.Could be hardened grease,rust or a part bent or damaged by somebody forcing the winder.Just figure out why the lock on the gear under the winder knob does not release when the shutter button is pressed.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can get the film wind moving by lifting it sligtly but u have to hold it up the empty spool inside is turning when u let go of wind it locks ... can u still bypass counter... if the answer is yes what is the point of the film counter and why does it say in the manual counter must be set to 0 before loading film

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should not have to lift the film wind.When you lift it,it's disengaging the lock.Until this is sorted,the counter won't move.
This is an early camera and had the red window as well as a frame counter,which was the norm for a few years, as jo public did not trust the new auto counters.
You can ignore the stuck counter,and forget zeroing it,and run a film through it just using the frame nos in the red windows.That is if you can live with lifting the winder slightly.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so what your saying is the camera will still perform as normal even by ignoring counter and lift wind wheel sligtly to rewind film... all this aside it wont effect in anyway the performance of the camera .... can u tell me on your bessa doe the shutter lever sometimes slip off the trigger

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes,as long as the film winds.
And no,mine doesn't.Check to see if there is about 1/8th inch overlap.If not,check if lens/shutter unit turns slightly anticlockwise to get enough overlap.Sometimes the black painted arm gets bent,and needs carefully,very carefully,bending up to a horizontal position,without pulling it off the pivoting rivet.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 344

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I have read in the German instruction manual on Mike Butkus' site the double exposure lock is disengaged by setting the counter to zero. That's the position of the counter used for loading.
It allows you to wind the film until "1" is shown in the red window (and to wind on without the film being blocked.

As soon as you have advanced the film to the first frame you would use the slider to set the counter to "1" which engages to double exposure prevention lock.

So as I understand this instructions (and German is my first language) you can use the red window as long as the counter is set to "0" and the double exposure lock is not engaged.

But I also have to say that I have no idea if the principle of that design has been changed later on.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi msiegel... does the counter need to be set to 0 before u can use the red window.CAN u not just ignore counter and just use the red window instead ''

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi fidji,,. have u seen msiegels post.. i think he is saying the film won;t advance unless counter is set to zero.this disables the film from being blocked and counter no 1 engages double exposure prevention lock... can u translate in lehmann's terms]

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

msiegel thanks for your insight.. your absolutely correct... i have the original manual [in english] it came with the camera...as for resetting the counter to zero out of the question.. jammed solid what i was asking in my earliar thread was can you ignore this stupid counter and still load film and use camera as normal using only the red window.all my cameras are german... they made the best cameras in my opinion;;i just don't like this built in counter system,,, thats why there is a red window.when this system was introduced the general public at the time where sceptical.. now i know what

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 346

Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The way I understand the system it has to be set to zero before you can wind on freely. The procedure is described in the manual. So with the counter jammed the double exposure prevention remains active and that's what I think is what you experience.
As soon as the film winds on freely you can of course use the red window only.

Martin

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the only way the turn wheel moves is if u lift it sligthly and holdit whilst turning ... the empty spool turns clockwise does this mean with film loaded u can advance and rewind... when the turn wheel is let go it locks ...the wheel only turns clockwise using this precedure,, doe this make any sense,,, can u still bypass/ignore counter and use red window

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With 120 film you do not 'rewind'.The film goes from the right side to the left spool using a clockwise turn of the winder,so go ahead try a film to check for light leaks etc.
I agree with all Msiegel has said.Not having the luxury of a manual in English,I have tried what he said on my camera,and when you reach 0 you can turn the winder continuously.This is so you can turn far enough to reach the no1 on the film backing paper.At that point,you mover the slider and the counter moves from 0 to 1,and the double exposure prevention engages.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Say i do find light leaks what would be the best thing to use to cover them up,,, black nail polish,insulation tape or superglue... then load a film ,advance film by slighly lift turn wheel to no 1 via red window take shot then advance to no 2 in red window and so... does this sound like it will work

Fidji
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should work.Only light leaks you can check for are pinholes in bellows.Remove back and hold up to a strong light.If you find one,it depends where it is.Personally,I glue black tape on flat surfaces,and mix black acrylic paint and a flexible adhesive for the corners and folds.I try to repair from the inside if possible.
Don't use superglue,it is not suitable for bellows.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a chance of any light leak here checked...camera in mint condition barr counter

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know when applying black silicone gasgt maker to bellows how long do u keep camera open before closing it also what is the best way to do this

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration