Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Super ME repair - No such thin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax Super ME repair - No such thing as a free camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Abandoncamerakeeper
Tinkerer
Username: Abandoncamerakeeper

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the title says, I got this thing for free off craigslist. A local arts student was getting rid of it since he had no idea what was wrong and I decided to pick it up.

From what I can tell, really nothing out of the ordinary. Dusty, all the light seals are gone (common), and came with no lens. Also, the battery screw/holder cap thread is damaged (cross threaded by previous owner. I put it back in and opened it via the three bottom screws to put in a fresh pair of batteries).

So, I pop on a test lens (Ricoh 55mm f/2.2) and press the shutter. It fires. Good. I wind the lever, switch to the next shutter speed and fire. Nothing.

???

I began to remove the lens and once I rotated it to remove it, that's when the mirror fires.

So I run through the whole gambit of shutter speeds sans lens. Fine. I put the lens back on. Mirror catches again and does nothing.

Is it my lens? Or does this thing suffer from the mirror-lockup syndrome I've read about?

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ME supers suffer from from a bushing on the side
of the mirror box that has turned into black,
gooey mush. Easy fix but to get at it you have to
take the mirror box out which is no easy task.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1080

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before stripping down, do check that the lens does not intrude too far into the mirror box and catch the mirror. Not all makes of lenses are fully interchangeable - happens with all types of mounts. The fact that the mirror moves when the lens is slightly unscrewed does indicate that perhaps it is the lens and not the camera - but then again as previous owner indicated a fault you could have just got yourself a free lemon!!

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 108

Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Particularly the aperture stop-down lever on K-mount lenses can protrude too far into the camera. Particularly common problem on the digital bodies, they are much touchier about this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration