Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 ISO Dial Repair? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F3 ISO Dial Repair? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 267

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a very clean F3, which appears to be in perfect shape, except the ISO readout appears not to be coupled to the dial that is rotated to change the value. I was able to get the ISO to advance all the way to max, but it wouldn't turn back to mininum. I was able to get it back to ISO 50 by holding up the dial and using a pencil eraser, pushing against the readout dial to get it to turn. I haven't gotten it to go any further than that. And if I advance the ISO, once again, it will advance, but it won't retard.

So, I'm gonna have to open things up and see if I can figure out why the ISO isn't staying linked to the adjustment dial. I know that with the old F, there is a metal panel that you have to carefully pry up to expose screws so you can disassemble this area. The F3 has its TTL flash contacts here inset into what looks to be a black plastic piece. Obviously, I don't want to screw up this piece by prying on it, if that's not what I'm supposed to do. But it isn't at all apparent how I should proceed.

Care to clue me in here?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 279

Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the ISO assembly on the F3:
Remove rewind knob, remove small circlip that holds down the black metal plate, remove rewind shaft latch and spring (careful with spring, it will fly if allowed), unsolder three flash TTL wires, remove remaining two screws.

I have found that most issues with this assembly are caused by impact damage
Bill

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 268

Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bill,

There is no physical evidence of impact damage. This camera is in exceptionally clean condition. But I suppose the damage could still happen from the right sort of smack. So, do I need to de-solder the contacts to reach the ISO adjustment wheels, or can I just move that fixture out of the way?

BTW, thanks a bunch for the directions. Hopefully something just got knocked off its track and not busted.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 280

Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
Yes, you would need to de-solder the contacts to remove the ISO assembly..
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration