Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contessamat shutter repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Ikon Contessamat shutter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 78

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zeiss Ikon Contessamat with the "Color-Pantar" 2.8/45 lens. It sports a Prontor-Matic 125 shutter. It works fine except the 1/30 shutter speed sticks intermittently. I want to attempt repair/cleaning but want to know how to remove the front elements. There is no split-ring face plate in the filter ring, there is however 3 screws in the focus scale ring. I've searched but can't find info here.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 246

Posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a set of images of that shutter on Flickr :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/sets/72157626013814840/

Be sure to select the whole URL and copy it in a new tabs URL-address field.

If needed i can have a closer look at one of my Prontor-Mats (when i can refind them ;-) )

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, how do I get to the shutter? how do I remove the front elements? (there is no spanner type face plate in the filter ring)

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 247

Posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess you need a rubber friction tool to get the frontlens out. Didn't try it yet with a Prontor-Matic but often enough with other shutters/lenses.

I usually use a flat piece of rubber on my desktop and push and rotate the shutter/lens against it.

Also a rubber doorstopper can often be used.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 248

Posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Image with all the tools mentioned :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/5259074538/

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 81

Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But you did... (same one I have)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/5460439185
Last night I removed the 3-screws around the focus ring and removed the ring to discover the lens elements unscrew, then to my horror (LOL) discovered that IT is the focus helical so after I work on the shutter, I will use some scotch tape in the camera film area, with shutter open and 'focus' it to Infinity to get it correct then put back on the focus ring. unless there is knowledge of how to do it properly...

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 249

Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just re-discovered that Prontor-matic shutter with the Color-Pantar lens.

It is indeed a frontcell focusing lens, as you allready have found out, so no need for friction tools unless the grease turned into glue.

Yes, the scotch trick might work though you probably need a magnifyer to see if the image on it is really sharp.

Just did measure the distance front of focusring till top of DOF-scale when focused on infinity. That must be about 5,1 mm. But no guarantee because i don't know if my shutter was opened up before.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 82

Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hans

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 83

Posted on Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Follow up- Shutter is working good now, I'm fighting with the Meter-to-lens meter coupling now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration