Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed 1 Wind Knob Mechanism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fed 1 Wind Knob Mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graemea
Tinkerer
Username: Graemea

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 1941 Fed 1 camera with a wind on issue. The knob seems to allow the shutter to unwind slightly and doesn't seem to have a proper anti reverse. I dismantled it and found it uses a long spring but I don't sem to be able to fathom how it should work. If I assemble it again it's much too tight and makes the shutter very hard to wind and yet still allows it to reverse. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks

Graemea
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 05:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two questions please:

1: Does the long spring in the chamber below the knob provide the anti-reverse for the wind on?

2. Is there no pawl mechanism involved like in most cameras?

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 128

Posted on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be a spring clutch only.

If the spring was unwound and the spring shape changed (un-sprung), it will not likely work correctly. A new spring needed. This happens when heavy-handed people insist on attempting to wind the knob in the direction they think it should go (counter clockwise instead of clockwise as it's supposed to wind).

I haven't looked in my Fed 1, but other barnack bodies with the spring clutch that I've worked on, the reassembly needs to be precise.

Later barnacks and copies (based on IIIc and later) sometimes had a latch. I can only recall the Zorki 6 with that latch right now, but I'm sure other FSU models have one. The Fed 1 probably doesn't.

Graemea
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for that. I searched and on spring clutch and found this link which shows me how it should look.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/24388.html

Graemea
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spring is faulty.

Is there anywhere where you can source a new spring?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration