Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MG-1 - white battery cable Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica MG-1 - white battery cable « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mishka
Tinkerer
Username: Mishka

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anyone have a picture where the white battery cable belongs to? i can't see where it was on the circuit board :-(

One90guy
Tinkerer
Username: One90guy

Post Number: 49

Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mishka and welcome. I have a MG-1 open and on the work bench was just heading out the door. If no one else helps I will post some pics for you this evening.

David

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi One90guy :-)

if you could post a picture that would be very nice!

thanks!

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For some reason having problem posting pic. I have a new computer with Windows 8 and no touch screen, and some of my stuff just does not seem to work. I have to go out of town early in the morning and will be driving most of the day. Will try again Sunday. Sorry for making you wait.

David

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 566

Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This might help, Mishka.

Sorry for the poor quality, but it was taken with my old digicam.

PF

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think that's the grey one!?!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 568

Posted on Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By golly, you're right! Told you it was a crappy photo. I just took a short-cut, and pulled a photo out of my archives. After looking at the actual camera, it connects on the opposite corner (lower left as you look at the back of the camera), where the three green wires converge.

I think I took the original photo to show where a spring rested against that mounting post. Sorry about all that, Mishka.

PF

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to be sure i made a photo of the cable i like to know where it belongs to :-) and btw thanks to all interested helping me :-) pleeeease!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 569

Posted on Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, Mishka, one more time.

The white wire connects at the lower left corner of the board (in the middle of that jumble of green wires). You can't see the insulation color, because the wire is stripped short of the board.

Here is the white wire coming up from the bottom of the camera (very center of photo, with the orange capacitor pointing at it). It is with two grey, one green, and one red wire that pass underneath the PC board on their way to the back of it. (My new digicam does a much better job of high ISO color rendition)

PF

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok ... thanks again for your time and help! to be sure i understand it correct because i can't see the white one on your first photo. is it where my yellow circle is? maybe you can help me once more?

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MG-1 Pic

Fromm right to left grey grey white sorry about delay. Had to use wifes laptop.

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm strange this board looks a lot different. The white wire is from the battery compartment to board.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 570

Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mishka, that's the spot. I can see the nub of the broken wire. When you melt the solder there, you should be able to dig that out. Are you putting in a new wire, or just reconnecting the old one? It wouldn't hurt to tin the end of the wire before you solder it to the connection.

David, you may have one of the earlier versions of the board. I believe Yashica made a change after the initial production run.

PF

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok i soldered it ... now the slow light lights no matter if it is dark or light. also does the shutter stay open until i rewind the lever. i think i broke something other. i hope you can understand what i mean because my english is not the best ;) any help appreciated!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 573

Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a GTN that has the same Slow Light fault. Something to do with the POD going bad, and the alignment of the switch board not being correct.

As for your shutter staying open until winding on, I hadn't heard that one before. Could be a product of the switch board misalignment. This site has a good tutorial on adjusting the rods.
http://www.monopix.co.uk/index.shtml

PF

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks again! but i think that it is not the POD because i already replaced that and the default 1/500s without battery works. but when i put the battery in, the light lights and the shutter does not close. to be sure again i show you where i soldered the cable :-)

Mishka
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and btw what is that 'in the yellow circle'? if i turn the lever to the top the over light lights and the shutter closes?

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Br1078lum, I am a novice on Yashica repairs. Been learning along the way, out of 3 I have repaired one. Working on a 4th one now, bad eyes and shaky hands make it tough to get the POD cut to size.

David

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 576

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mishka, you got the wire in the proper place. What you have highlighted is a variable resistor (aka a varistor), used to fine tune the meter circuit. Since you have replaced the POD, then the rods need to be adjusted so that the switch board on the shutter release post opens and closes the control circuits in the proper sequence. You may still have to tune the meter circuit, especially now that you moved the varistor setting. Does the photo show it in the position it was at before you moved it, or after?

David, if you order a seal kit from our own Jon Goodman, he includes a POD. I've actually yet to complete any repairs on my G series cameras, but have torn a couple down for parts, or reference photos. I just keep getting sidetracked by other things, though I have worked over an ME, and did some temporary work on a YF so I could test shoot it. My GTN is going to get some work soon, I hope.

PF

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Br1078lum Well I am red faced now, had already ordered the kit from Jon and did not know the POD was included. I easily get sidetracked myself and tend to start more projects before finishing what I started on. Have grandson visiting right now but the MG goes back to the top of pile.

David

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration