Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Rokkor MC 135mm f3.5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Rokkor MC 135mm f3.5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clie
Tinkerer
Username: Clie

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got this lens and want to open it up to clean the internal elements of oil. Seems its the 4/4 lens configuration.

How do I open it up?
Do I put a rubber kitchen stopper on the front name plate and turn anti clockwise hard?
The name ring doesn't seem to move when I twist it. Not enough pressure?

Appreciate any help?

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off, I haven't worked on this Minolta lens. But what must be stated repeatedly, even shouted from the rooftops, is that attacking any lens, particularly zooms and telephoto lenses, from the front is not always the best way to go! The Zuiko 135mm/2.8 can be tackled from the front but in many configurations the ist element is held by a retainer inside the optical tube.
Look for any setscrews on the bottom edge of the focusing collar, or if there are any under the rubber grip. If the whole collar can be slid out of the way (mark its position before) you may be able to access and unscrew the whole front cell.
An easier option is to look for 1 or 2 setscrews on the side of the filter ring. Sometimes these are only visible when the lens is set to minimum focus. The whole filter ring complete with name ring can then be unscrewed giving easy access to the front optical group. If you unscrew it scribe its position beforehand.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of the Minolta MC lenses have soft internal coatings which cannot be cleaned by what we would consider to be normal methods here.

I know Minolta admitted (along with Leica) to using soft coatings internally to the camera repair profession, but I am not aware that an official list was ever published.

I seem to remember that the 35/2.8 MC and the 58/1.2 MC were in that category.

Gardener
Tinkerer
Username: Gardener

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would depend on which of them you have - it would seem that you refer to Rokkor-QD. In that case, yes, you have to unscrew name ring to remove front elements.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration