Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What can be done with an Autocollimator? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » What can be done with an Autocollimator? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kaarle
Tinkerer
Username: Kaarle

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

This might be dumb question, but I couldn't find any proper information concerning working with an auto collimator. Few days ago retired camera mechanic gave me his auto collimator. Unfortunately this gentleman is already very old and he can't remember how things are done with this device. So if i have understood right it is possible to

1. Check the correct focusing of objective.
2. Check the correct centering of lens elements
3. Adjust bayonet to match film plane to maximize resolution of the objective.

How are these jobs done? I suppose I need to use mirrors? Does anyone have user manual, or know an book I can study these techniques? Or could anyone guide me through principles of collimating lenses?

Collimator is Bligh Auto Collimator. The upper part of the collimator has lamp in it and objective that has markings for distances; 1.5m, 2m, 3m, ff. (what is this for?) and INF. Lower part of the collimator is simple platform without adjusting screws for x - y dimensions (I have seen that in Gokosha Collimators this platform can be adjusted by three adjusting screws.)

I can post photos if needed.

Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 252

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The more simple auto-collimators are fixed focussed on infinity. They have an occular which should be adjustable for eye-sight. This adjustment for eye-sight is done with a flat surface mirror lying on the table (instead of the camera).

I don't know the Bligh Autocollimator but when i read your post i guess that the focus can be changed (like that on my Gokosha). Normally this makes it possible to either measure on another focus distance (your case) or have a reading of the deviation from infinity (on my Gokosha).

Parallelity is also visible in these autocollimators. Either by overlapping of 2 visible images in the occular or by the reticle being in the center.

btw Is this one the same as your Bligh :
http://zeisscamera.com/articles_explain.shtml

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration