Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bellows restoration Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bellows restoration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know when applying black silicone gasket maker to bellows how long do u keep camera open before closing also what is the best way to do this

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done it and I let it dry for at least 12
hours before closing the camera. Be warned that
silicon gasket maker is not the best for anything
but small pin holes.

I applied it using a toothpick and tamping it in.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, June 14, 2013 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for that

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 191

Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried using the silicone goop on some bellows a long time ago. I suppose it did make them light-tight, but it also made the camera a little harder to close and a LOT harder to open, because the silicone remains a bit tacky, even when dry, and the pleats would stick together. Of course the heat and humidity of Taiwan might have been a factor, too.

On all bellows I have seen, whatever material the outside is made of, there is a cloth layer on the inside.

The best solution I have found for closing smaller holes is to get some black fabric paint at the hobby/crafts store. It is water-soluble, so thin the paint with a little water (or ink) to make sure it wicks into the cloth. Use a small brush, bend the tip to get it into the inside corners of the bellows. It is not tacky.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 578

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used Liquid Electrical Tape (LET) on my first bellows repair, and it was the last time I did that. I've used the fabric paint since, even on shutter curtains. Since most holes in the bellows are in the corners of the folds, instead of brushing it on, I used an eye-dropper to flood the corners. The type of paint I use is permanent, so it cleans up with alcohol. It's "Tulip" brand "Fashion Graffiti", and the color is "Cannon". It's sold in most craft stores, is non-toxic, and the small size bottle is 2 US FL oz (59 ml).

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration