Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 SP meter adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35 SP meter adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andreh
Tinkerer
Username: Andreh

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

I have a question about the Olympus 35 SP. My SP is 2 stops slower than my handheld meter. I know from the RC, that its not very complicated to adjust a meter. What about the SP? Is there anywhere a potentionmeter to adjust the meter?

Yes, I could turn the ISO dial 2 stops, but thats not the way I prefer...

Normally I shoot BW, so I don´t need 100% accuracy, but 2 stops is too much.

No, it has noting to do with battery problems. The SP was serviced some times ago and now a 1,5V battery fits.

Hope you can help, thanks for your time. If this would be a problem, the meter also would be faster with a 1,5V, not slower.

- André.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 52

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is hard to say what your problem might be, however the 35SP had a very simple light meter sensor. It is a piece of sturdy cardboard onto which was bonded the light sensor. It will work fine, but I've noticed it sometimes loses accuracy...and there is unfortunately not a good substitute for it as this little piece of cardboard also contains a specially designed section meant to offer some modified spotmetering ability. Humidity seems to be a problem as this cardboard sensor is not glazed nor covered with clear epoxy or anything which would limit humidity's effects (those I've seen which had problems seemed to have suffered from oxidation). As for the adjustment that was made to use a 1.5v battery, well...there is not much I can say about this. It also could be the answer to your problem. There are many misunderstandings about making meters work with incorrect voltage sources. Have you removed the top plate to look inside? As I recall the potentiometer is in there.
Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration