Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM1n Frame Counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus OM1n Frame Counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aemb04
Tinkerer
Username: Aemb04

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have just bought an Olympus OM1n which all works great except the frame counter. It moves as it should when you wind on but when the back is opened it doesn't reset back to S, the reset button seems to move fine even though the seals are knackered and need replacing the button isn't gunked up. I have wound on so the counter shows S but when the back is opened it goes to E & if I go past to say frame 4 it only goes back to 2. Does anyone know a simple fix or at least what is causing it. Thanks.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1316

Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The quick answer is to slap the camera while the back is open and see if the counter resets. This is usually caused by dirt in the bearings of the dial, making it too sticky for the fine hair spring to overcome to spin it all the way back. The longer answer is to remove the top cover of the camera and drip a drop or two of cigarette lighter fluid under the dial. While you're in there, you should also put a couple of drops onto the wind lever pawls, which are just a little further down under the wind lever, on the front side.... these have similarly light springs, and will fail to catch if they get sticky. The first symptom of that will be the camera requiring more than one stroke of the wind lever to advance to the next frame.

Aemb04
Tinkerer
Username: Aemb04

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, but I think the dial is loose as I tried tapping with the camera back open & it did go to S but when I closed it, it moved again so I tapped it with the back closed & the counter moves back E or 36,35 ect I don't want to keep slapping it in case I damage another part of the camera so looks like I will have to take the top off.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1318

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes on doing that - email rick_oleson@yahoo.com if you'd like a copy.

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 84

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Rick, just wanna throw out a thanks for the notes on your website (Argus C44/C4 shutter repair) it helped immensely.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1322

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yerwelkim!

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration