Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL Electro X Mirror Bumper Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica TL Electro X Mirror Bumper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 120

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to renew the mirror bumper on my Yashica TL Electro X 35mm SLR. I've done a fair few of these on different cameras but the Yashica has a metal plate at the top of the lens mount, in front of the mirror bumper, which is going to make access very difficult. There's no obvious way of removing this plate or getting into the lens mount apart from a screw at the top which presumably is for the top cover. Does anyone know if this plate can be removed without too much dismantling? Thanks in advance.

Lars
Tinkerer
Username: Lars

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
I have found an easy way to do this. And it doesnīt require any dismantling at all. You only have to turn the camera upside down and secure it in that position. From here on, it will probably take longer to explain than to do it.
I used a type of adhesive backed foam, but You can use any foam and some glue. Apart from the foam, all You need is a needle bent to an "L"-shape and a steady hand.
You simply push the needle into the foam strip at the side that should face the mirror. Remove the paper covering the adhesive (or apply the glue). Then You just offer the strip up to behind the metal plate and make sure it sticks. Remove the needle. Job done.

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Lars that's understood, I'll give it a try, but I have to say that it's scraping out the old sticky foam which is going to be the trickiest bit.

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 122

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had another idea. Prepare the new bumper with adhesive on one side, then temporarily stick it to the edge of the mirror by something which will evaporate (saliva?). Now operate the mirror lock up, and the bumper will be pushed up into the correct position and the adhesive will stick it down. Or will it?

Lars
Tinkerer
Username: Lars

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried that method first. Didnīt work very well for me. First of all; I found it difficult to operate the lock-up in a slow controllable way. Secondly; it was hard to tell where on the mirror to put the foam. It ended up either on the focusing screen or on the metal light baffle. And since the adhesive bites instantly, it was hard to remove for a retry. The above described method worked first time.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 176

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saliva is what Jon Goodman recommends for his seal kits. It will delay the adhesive action plenty long enough for you to get the bumper into position. Don't worry about using the mirror to push it into position; it will stay once the saliva evaporates. (Although on the X, the mirror lock-up is easily controlled.)

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 350

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I agree with Donnie - licking the adhesive side once the backing paper is removed gives you enough open time to place the bumper foam. The needle trick can also help I guess but lick the foam first. Jon Goodman has provided detailed instructions for the TL Super here:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

I'm not sure how the Super differs from the Electro X but I've found that my TL Electro has the same U-shaped mirror bumper.

Brett
Tinkerer
Username: Brett

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done a few foam replacements on Electro Xs. I have to say I didn't think it was that big a deal. Invest in some quality precision tweezers for both removing the old foam and attaching the replacement. A modicum of manual dexterity is called for, but it's more tedious than challenging.
Regards
Brett

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 124

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I sorted it,yes it is a U shape but I just replaced it with a single straight piece of foam. What an odd camera. An electronic shutter, but manual exposure setting. There are two red arrows indicating over and under exposure. Correct exposure, no arrows or indication - its a little disconcerting. I'm hoping to put a film through it tomorrow. Thanks to all for the advice and comments.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration