Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina iii c missing part Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina iii c missing part « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 20

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello does anyone know if a missing asa/din knob on a retina iii c will effect in anyway the performance of the camera..any answers appreciated..., sean:

Zombicams
Tinkerer
Username: Zombicams

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole knob: yes. The dial on the knob: no.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the whole knob is missing,,what effect will this have on the camera

Zombicams
Tinkerer
Username: Zombicams

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The knob only turns the pointer so it can be lined up with the needle and a meter reading be accomplished. It is independent of the camera. So, it doesn't matter. If the meter beneath the knob is missing also then I might think about a minor light leak down into the camera.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a knob and retainer pin screw, the ASA 2 piece dial gizmo and the spring washer under the ASA dial, but not the retainer plate and pointer or screws for the retainer plate . Have you got the pointer and retainer plate and screws?

Davejb
Tinkerer
Username: Davejb

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may be able to find out which parts are missing if you download the parts list from Chris Sherlock's excellent site:

http://retinarescue.com/files/retina_iiic_parts_list.pdf

It shows all the parts above the top cover, but the meter unit itself only as a unit.

Apologies for my curiosity! Is this the camera sold recently where the seller thought that the meter was a flash?

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i dont have pointer and retainer plates and screws and yes the camera in question is indeed the one the seller mistakend as a flash,,i corrected him before purchase ... no flash on this model...please clarify what happens to the camera without this knob is it only light leaks i should be looking for as seller did mention there was gaffer tape covering this and his uncle did use the camera

Davejb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think there would be any light leaks, so if the rest of the camera is in good order it ought to work, just without the meter, which of course is not coupled, so wouldn't be any problem.

I see now that what I took for corrosion is probably just gaffer-tape goo, though the mention of a button cell is a bit of a puzzle!

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how would u go about replacing this asa/din knob,,,could u take it off a broken camera ...[same model of course]and fit it on,,,. would this be difficult to do ..would u need to take top housing off

Davejb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the missing parts presumably got lost with the top in place you ought to be able to replace them with it fitted, but it is VERY easy to take the top off anyway.

Your best bet would be a 'spares' camera, but Retinas are very good cameras and scrap ones seem to be rare as hen's teeth! It would probably be possible to fit the top from a IIc if you don't mind living without the meter, but I don't know that for certain.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 53

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top would have to come off the install the knob, there are two screws that go into it from the bottom. You might try Chris Sherlock at Chris's camera pages, he may have an extra part or two.

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 33

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a IIIc Ausf. 2* with a broken shutter and an Ausf. 1* with a nonfunctioning light meter, so I transfered the Ausf. 2 meter, top cover, and cover end bracket to the Ausf. 1. The meter is modular, so no cutting or soldering of wiring is necessary. Just take off the cover, unscrew and remove the old meter, drop in the new one, and screw it down--gently, because the old plastic is brittle and may crack under pressure. I now have a fully working hybrid.

The Ausf. 2 meter attaches a little differently than the meter in the Ausf. 1, which is why you have to transfer the cover and the end bracket as well. A fortunate side benefit is that the end bracket also serves to hold the cocking rack in place, and the Ausf. 2 bracket covers a larger area of the rack, perhaps helping to protect the rack from stripping teeth as easily as earlier designs did.

*Ausf. 1 (first design) = two-range meter with the little door on front of the meter cell (often broken off, as mine was) and circular windows on the meter dial. Ausf. 2 (second design, 1957) = single-range meter with black plastic frame and rectangular windows on the meter dial.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration