Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon AI lens aperture lever problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon AI lens aperture lever problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johng
Tinkerer
Username: Johng

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - I recently got a Nikon 135mm f2.8 AI lens. It's in very good condition, except that the controls that should affect its aperture don't work. The aperture lever at the back of the lens - the one the camera would use to control it - is loose: it moves freely, but doesn't affect the blades at all. Neither does it spring back into its rest position, as it ought to. The aperture ring also moves fine, but similarly has no effect.

The lens appears to be at max aperture all the time. But note - when I look through the lens with decent light, I can't see any blades. Should I be able to see them, even with the aperture fully open?

Does anyone know what is likely wrong and what it would take to repair this?

Thanks, John

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 123

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some part of the linkage is clearly broken or disconnected inside the lens, it will need dismantling and repairing.

You don't normally see the aperture blades when it's fully open.

Jagstang
Tinkerer
Username: Jagstang

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had this issue once on a Yashica YUS lens. The issue was that a screw was left out, so the pin that is coupled to the spring-loaded assembly that actuates the aperture was hanging loose. I've not been inside a Nikkor lens, but the bayonet should come off easily enough, at which point I would just look and see if anything is loose or unhooked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration