Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 1.9 stuck shutter and aperture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Petri 1.9 stuck shutter and aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dwayne
Tinkerer
Username: Dwayne

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Petri 1.9.
The aperture ring will not go lower than 5.6. From 5.6 to 16 seems OK.
When I set to bulb mode and press the shutter button I can see that the shutter blades do not look right even for f5.6.
I removed parts of the lens from the front to access the blades.
When I press the shutter button (on B mode) and attempt to turn the aperture ring below 5.6, it appears that a blade is binding on something so I don't force it.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?
I can provide pictures if someone would like to chime in.
Do you have more questions?

I've only had this camera a short time and I have not used it so I don't know any other history.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 48

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Each aperture blade has a pivoting hole and slot cut out of it, and these fit on pins. One pin is to hold the blade in place and the other is moved by the aperture ring to rotate the blades to form larger or smaller apertures.
What you describe, seems like a blade has come off one of these pins. The usual reason for the blade coming adrift is a broken blade or wear. Only dismantling will tell if the blade is undamaged and can be fixed back on the pin.
Looking at the petri f2.8 that I have in front of me now, it does not look like an easy job, as there is a light shield hampering the removal of the lens unit from the body. Sorry I can't be more positive!

Dwayne
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fidji, Thanks for responding.
True that doesn't sound like an easy job but this sweet little camera has potential. I can't say when I'll attempt the job but when I do, I'll post an update with my results. I was kind of hoping that jogging the shutter and aperture would free up something but so far no luck.
This is my first Petri and I haven't found much info about disassembly or repair specifically for the 1.9. Maybe I'll find a parts donor unit.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 87

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it uses the Copal MXV shutter (some do and some don't), there is info in the archives and on the internet which might help.

As I recall (caution!) except for the rear lens group, it all comes out from the front. The lenses are excellent.

Dwayne
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael, it's a Copal SV. I'll add that to my search and see what I get.
Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration