Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35-S II Repair? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35-S II Repair? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kingfrizzy
Tinkerer
Username: Kingfrizzy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus 35-S II, a camera ive relied on for the past 2 years. The camera is clean and mechanically flawless, speeds are good, focus is smooth. The issue is lens has became partially separated and is a little loose, therefore the rangefinder isn't aligned correctly. It appears that the bottom most screw on the lens is missing. These are supposedly rather simple cameras to repair. Im very desperate to get this camera repaired, and trying to find someone who has some experience with Olympus rangefinders.

Anyone know anything about these cameras or who would know how to repair it.

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer
Username: Wm_nilliam

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got one with a stuck shutter due in the mail next week. If lighter fluid and exercise doesn't do the trick, I'll have to open it up. I'll take some pictures of the disassembly if I do, and post them here.

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, that shutter is REALLY stuck. Ronsonol and exercise did nothing (and disassembly hasn't been all that useful either.) Here are the pictures though, if only as a cautionary tale.step1step 2step 3step4step 5step 6step 7step 8step 9

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So anyway, things were going pretty well until I took the plate in picture 8 off, at which point the trigger latch flew across the room and the cocking ring repositioned itself in a new, non-useful position. If anyone out there knows how picture 9 might be made to more closely resemble a working shutter I'd love to hear from you.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 606

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the shutter model? Details, man, details! Though these shutters are basically similar to a Compur-Rapid, there may be differences between camera manufacturers specifications, which is the same for Compurs. I may have one of these on my Ricoh 519, but need to know the model number to match the parts assembly. Wouldn't do any good to post you a photo of a different arrangement.

PF

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah yes, details. My occasional lapses of attention to them might explain why the Seikosha MXL in the picture is in its present state... I'm not sure if there are variations on the MXL models but the Seikosha SLV that Dan Mitchell has on his site is definitely a different configuration.
Will

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 612

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, Will, that's what I've got on the 519. I thought I took photos when I took it apart, but don't see them in a folder, so I'll have to do it again. I was holding off on working the shutter until I could get a proper spanner to remove the shutter assembly from the camera.

PF

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Phil, for your kind attention to my plight. Please do not hurry w/ the Ricoh on my account. I have a couple working examples of the shutter(Ricoh 500 and another 35 S) along with various improper spanners lying around here but I am disinclined to disassemble unbroken cameras. Get your proper spanner and open up the 519 only if it needs opening. The Olympus is resting comfortably, zip-locked in a nice box. There is no hurry.
Will

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 614

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will, I've had it open before, just didn't take any photos of it. The only thing is I need a different type of spanner to get the retaining ring off the back of it, because someone before me tried flood cleaning it with naptha, and just spread the gunk all over the shutter and aperture blades, and the elements.

Mine doesn't have those two shutter cover ring locks like on your example. I was surprised at how much like a Compur Rapid it is.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 624

Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the pics from the shutter dis-assembly, Will.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjH18XXC

And Kingfrizzy, I hope this is all helping you too.

PF

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very useful photos Phil, Thank you! (Is that a Ronco cap snaffler in pic 11, taking off the front element? I'll need to keep my eye out for one of those.) Thanks also for acknowledging Kingfrizzy. I was starting to feel a bit guilty for hijacking his initial thread.
Will

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 625

Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will, it's just a jar opener I bought at the grocery store. Best thing I've found so far for removing filters and lens blocks. I think Kingfrizzy is getting the info that was asked for, as you've shown how to get into the lens, and my contribution will help if any shutter work is needed.

PF

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Cap Snaffler" was Ron Popiel's trademarked jar opener back in the 70's... One of my favorite parts of this camera tinkering biz is assembling the perfect toolkit from all manner of weird junk. Everything is useful...eventually.
Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration