Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE will not rewind Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE will not rewind « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Enriquez
Tinkerer
Username: Enriquez

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I just shot my second roll on a new to me Nikon FE. First roll shot and rewound fine. The second roll would not rewind easily. I opened the back of the camera and had to help the film along by rolling the teeth with my thumb (rewind button was depressed). After rewinding and removing the film, I noticed the take up spool would not turn backward with out force. It would click/roll backward with force, the geared roller turned easily with the rewind button depressed. Anyone have any ideas? The double exposure lever is working correctly.

Thanks,

Scott

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1330

Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the rewind clutch is not releasing, though I'm not sure why that would be - it's easier to visualize it slipping than locking up. Possibly dirt inside the hollow sprocket shaft gumming things up and making it all stick together? But that would not correspond to the first roll rewinding without resistance..... The rewind release mechanism is (generally, I don't think I've ever taken it apart in an FE) a cross pin on the inner wind shaft that engages a slot in the inner wall of the hollow sprocket shaft. Pushing up on the release button lifts the pin clear of the slot. In some cameras the slot can wear and fail to engage, and in some the threaded button on the bottom of the shaft can work loose and push up unwantedly on the shaft and disengage it .... in your case, it sounds like the button is not pushing the shaft up far enough to disengage it. First place I would look is inside the bottom cover, see if you can press the shaft up and disengage the clutch.

Enriquez
Tinkerer
Username: Enriquez

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, I'll take the bottom plate off and check it out. The take up spool should spin in reverse easily when the rewind button is depressed right? With the button depressed, the first toothed roller spins in reverse completely freely but the take up spool resists. The take up spool clicks as it rolls backwards and as mentioned has resistance. Maybe this is normal?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1331

Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The takeup spool itself would not be affected by the rewind release button: it should have a certain amount of friction at all times, so that it can take up the film but also allow rewinding. This is important on advance as well, because as the spool gets larger in diameter, it would try to take up more film than the sprocket wheel is advancing, and this would tear the film between the sprocket and the takeup spool.

It sounds like something has jammed the works in the slip clutch inside your takeup spool. This is uncommon, and it may be difficult to get inside there and find the problem. Often, takeup spools are not designed for easy access.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration