Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak vest pocket pinholes in bellows Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak vest pocket pinholes in bellows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,,has anyone have one of theses and used it with pinholes in ,,just wanting to know is it worth using ..what are the pictures like,,i just dont like the idea of a restoration job,,,the seller told me there was only 1 small pinhole but infact plenty what should you do

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 595

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I usually try to repair them with permanent fabric paint, at least two coats on the inside corners, and maybe a coat on the outside. If that's not feasible, then there is a seller on eBay who has some NOS bellows for sale. He still has four models, so all you have to do is match-up your's with what he has in stock. Just do a search for "Kodak Bellows".

Or, you could learn the fine art of making your own.

PF

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what are the pictures like if you ignore these pinholes,,,also a hear putting a pin through each pinhole then apply black silicone gasket maker push the pin through seals these ,,,but how long would that take getting each and everyone of these

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 143

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you done the light test on the bellows? Take a bare bulb flashlight, like a Maglite with the top screwed all the way off and put it inside the bellows in a dark room. If you see a lot of light through pinholes, I suspect your film will have a lot of fog. The black silicone (RTV) is good for a few pinholes, but if a lot, I would highly suggest the fabric paint as mentioned above.

Good Luck

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it;s the first thing i do is check the bellows using a torch....where do i get this fabric paint from,and is this all u do is paint over the pinholes using a small brush,,,does this fabric paint block out the light???

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 597

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy mine at craft stores. Other sources would be supply houses for arts, and t-shirt printers.

I've read of that silicone method, but shy away from that stuff because it can pull away later on, and make the bellows stick together.

Here is an example of a severe case of pinholes in a Kodak Tourist.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588@N07/9185060905/

Note: You'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser

PF

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you keep the bellows open until the paint drys say 24 hours,,can u cover these,pinholes painting inside and out of the bellows,,how many coats do u need ,,is this a permanent solution to the issue

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you use fabric paint please be sure to use a high grade paint. SoSoft in the color Lamp Black is a very good choice. Avoid "dimensional fabric paint". This is the type used for people writing messages on t-shirts and will not be nearly opaque enough nor flexible enough for your needs. Truthfully dimensional fabric paint is not much better than pva glue with some color mixed in. TulipSoft is another very good brand. Just be sure you get a high quality paint and all will be fine. I'd leave the bellows undisturbed at least overnight.
Jon

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 106

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used Liquid Electrical Tape to seal pinholes on different camera's including VPKs.
I apply a thin coat that I smear out with a Q-tip.

It works, but this fix will wear out if you keep opening and closing the bellows though.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone heard that before u take exposure cover the bellows with a dark cloth ,its supposed to block out the light,,,has anyone done this ,,and did it work

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 352

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not really, the light through the pinholes will hit the film as soon as you open the camera (pull out the lens). So you would need to cover the bellows already on opening the camera.

It would work with a plate camera or large format camera which has a dark slide in front of the film/plate. You could cover the bellows before you remove the dark slide for the picture.

Or with a camera that has the shutter behind the bellows (e.g. an SLR with a macro bellows that has pinholes).

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 598

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend of mine used to sell something on eBay called a "Bel-Jak". You put it over the bellows before loading the camera, and leave it on until you are done with the roll. Works, but then you can't close the camera between locations if you are just taking one or two shots at a time.

I use the Tulip brand paint. It has to be the permanent variety (cleans up with alcohol). I let it dry 24 hours between coats, usually sitting in front of a fan. I've had very good results with it on bellows, and shutter curtains.

PF

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where do u get this tulip paint and do the bellows open and close easily when dryed ,,whats in the paint so that it covers these and how many coats do u apply ,,,would a small brush do like the ones u get with kids painting sets

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 600

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's available in arts-and-crafts stores. Make sure to get the permanent type, in "Cannon".

Bellows operation is not bothered by using this paint.

It has large color particles in it, so it tends to plug the holes better.

A skinny brush is good for working it into the corners. You can get some cheap brushes while you are at the arts-and-crafts store.

Remember, it's going to take more than one coating to plug those holes. I've put two so far on my Kodak Tourist, and it's going to need some more. It took six coats for the shutters I did.

PF

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,,,how much do you pay for this tulip paint ,,permanent type,,,as the craft store,,has given me the wrong stuff :3d tulip matte paint: ill be returning it

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 602

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall how much it was, as that was over a year ago, and I haven't used up the 59ml bottle yet.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration