Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina II top removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina II top removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 333

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took off the knobs and removed the screws from either end. The top is loose, but it hangs up on the advance/rewind switch. How do I get this out of the way so the top will come off?

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

explain why you have taken the top housing off,,,,

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to hold down the shutter button and then wiggle it off towards the back.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 334

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Manmcg2012: I don't have the top off. That's the problem; it won't come off. I want to take the top off because there is some crud in there stuck to the glass. I'd like to get the top off so I can clean it out.

Upnorthw: Thanks, man. I'll give that a try.

Davejb
Tinkerer
Username: Davejb

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Upnorthw said - plus it helps if you slacken the brass slotted nut round the wind spindle that retains the A-R lever. This enables you to lift the lever so that it can move a little towards the front of the camera, away from its slot.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 80

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Removing the top cover on the Retina II cameras is simple if you follow the following steps.

First remove the rewind knob, it is normal right-hand threaded. Just open the camera back, and put a screwdriver or similar tool through the fork at the end of the shaft to prevent the shaft rotating while you turn the knob with your fingers

The advance knob is left-hand threaded. With the camera back open, you will find there are two flat spots on the nickel-plated top of the take-up spindle. Hold the shaft at this point with a suitable spanner to prevent it from turning while you unscrew the knob with your fingers. If you skip the bit about using a spanner, the load will be taken by the delicate ratchet instead and you'll break something.

The knob can be very tight, but don't use pliers on the knob or you'll scar the finish. Instead wrap a layer of thin strip of leather or rubber around the knob and fit an adjustable metal hose-clip over that. Tighten the hose clip and then you can grip the hose clip with any suitable tool.

When the knob is loose, leave it in place while you unscrew the cap on the top of the shutter release button.

Remove the single screw at each end of the top cover.

Now with the back of the camera open, first cock the shutter, rotate the film advance knob in the normal direction while rolling the sprocket shaft with your thumb to the right until the advance knob locks. Keep your thumb on that sprocket shaft to prevent it rolling backwards. Unscrew and remove the advance knob you loosened earlier. Depress the shutter release shaft with the tip of a screwdriver as far as it will go and lift the front edge of the top cover back over the shutter release shaft.

Once clear of the shutter release, you should be able to pull the top cover back over the film advance advance shaft, and wriggle the cover off the A/R lever.

Reinstallation is just the reverse of the above steps.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 335

Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Sherlock:

Well, it wasn't simple getting it back together (it's a very tight fit), but it's done now. I had a problem with the winding knob catching on something for a while, but loosening that nut and wiggling things around seems to have solved it -- I hope.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration