Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FT QL shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FT QL shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Janepefko
Tinkerer
Username: Janepefko

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My grandfather gave me his cameras, among which is his Canon FT QL in impeccable visible condition. I shoot primarily with an Olympus OM, but it has been having some issues, so I would like to replace it with this camera... if it would cooperate.

The issue is, the shutter appears to be stuck. When I first received it, both the shutter release button and the advance would not budge.

EXCEPT in one (very specific) condition.

If I remove the lens and gently hold down the mirror as I press the shutter release, the release will depress. If I then release the button a second time, the mirror will snap into the down position. I can then wind the advance, where it snaps back into the up position.

All of this makes no sense to me. If anyone can explain... or help me(!!!) I'd be so grateful.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1088

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera needs a proper service and clean. You could probably pick up a good working FT/FTb for the price of a service - all depends on the sentimental value you place on your particular FT. Sadly lack of use, indicated by a mint exterior, does not mean a working camera in the long term - dried up lubricants and degraded foam/plastics are the death knell for cameras from this period.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration