Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIS Rangefinder Adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina IIIS Rangefinder Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 48

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 12, 2013 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The rangefinder on my new Retina IIIS is not aligned vertically (i.e., when looking at one horizontal line - I see two - one above the other). Although I have the Kodak service manual, I am not sure what I need to do - I understand they call this alignment "horizontal" and say you need to move a mirror and a bracket, but the screws they mention, don't seem to hold any mirror...
Anybody has experience with this?
Regards,
Hai

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 81

Posted on Friday, July 12, 2013 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Hai,

The mirror is the large one on the right held by a single screw. There is no adjustment screw, you simply loosen the screw and push the bracket in the right direction.

The adjustment is not easy to do, but is certainly achievable.

Regards, Chris

Hai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot Chris. I managed to do that.. Now the next challenge is the infinity and close focus. I think I understand the infinity adjustment, but not the close one. Am I supposed to remove the rangefinder from the camera?

Regards,
Hai

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 82

Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Hai,

Always adjust the alignment at infinity first. This is the adjustment closest to the eyepiece end of the rangefinder arm.

This can be regarded as the main adjustment. It can be out of adjustment if the rangefinder casting shifts slightly from a the camera having been dropped, or if someone has forced something.

The close-focus adjustment on a rangefinder like this rarely needs any attention, there is no way it can easily fall out of adjustment.

Once the infinity position is correct, this probably can be left alone.

If after adjusting for infinity you then decide that close-focus really does need adjustment, you will find the two adjustments interact and you will have to work on both the infinity and close-focus adjustments together.

Regards, Chris

Hai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I will try that. The previous repair person working with this camera put a large amount of black colour / mail lacquer on the infinity screw - I hope I will manage to remove it..
Regards,
Hai

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration