Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vario shutter problem - shutter opens... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vario shutter problem - shutter opens whilst shutter is being primed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Julianl
Tinkerer
Username: Julianl

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 1950s vintage Vario shutter (Zeiss 517/16 camera). I acquired the camera with the shutter disassembled, so didn't get to see how it should have looked assembled. I have put it back together and have a shutter that seems to be working ok. The speeds sound accurate (1/200th, 1/75th, 1/25th and B) and the iris works.

My problem is that as I am priming the shutter, the shutter blades are opening slightly. Just before the priming lever reaches the end of it's travel then flick open about half way. Once the shutter is primed, the blades are shut. Obviously this would be a problem with film in the camera. Have I assembled it incorrectly or could it be some part that needs lubricating that is dragging the shutter blades open when it shouldn't? The problem is seen least on the 1/200th setting and most on the 1/25th.

Any advice, suggestions and or pointers to workshop manuals would be very much appreciated!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 605

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing I found with these old shutters is a tendency to deform the levers. Some action doesn't get blocked, and next thing you know, nothing works right. Here is a link to my repairs on a Nettel with the Vario shutter http://flic.kr/s/aHsjz1wBk9

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration