Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG7 ... shutter release switch? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG7 ... shutter release switch? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J_in_wi
Tinkerer
Username: J_in_wi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, i've had some really good luck fixing a few of minolta's sr- series cameras. a buddy of mine brought over his XG7 last night and told me to have a go, because he didn't want it anymore. i've had the camera open and frankly was expecting a whole lot more mechanics. i do not believe the camera had ever been taken apart before, because everything seemed to be in its stock position, and all the screws were very clean.

anyway, here's my issue:

-batteries are new.
-BC functions properly, lighting up when in BC position.
-NO LEDs when shutter release is half-pressed.
-shutter will wind, but NOT release when shutter release is fully depressed.
-cable release switch does not cause the shutter to release either.
-i was able to get the shutter to release following the service manual for the xg-m and shorting the leads from the shutter release. this is repeatable, so i'm pretty sure i haven't fried anything o.0

i believe the problem is in the shutter release switch itself, but there's not really much to break there. could these problems be a result of bad capacitors? is there a way to get to the switch that doesn't involve ripping out the entire shutter speed assembly? it looks like a springfest in there..

(i'm willing to solder, and have a multimeter)

happy to provide any more info you might need. thanks a bunch for the help, i love tinkering with these things...

~j

J_in_wi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just got done going over the boards bit by bit and making sure the wires were all connected. interestingly, i'm now getting LEDs in the viewfinder corresponding to (what i'm assuming is) the shutter speed prescribed by the auto mode. so, the ttl seems to be functioning, at least in auto mode. i'm still not getting anything else (is there anything else? hah..) or anything at all in the manual shutter speed settings.

i worked the shutter release switch with a screwdriver.. lightly cycled it probably 50 times, with no effect. shutter will still not release.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 88

Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that the XG-7 meters only in the auto mode.

Sounds as if your shutter release switch is dirty or open.

J_in_wi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the thing is, it clicks fairly authoritatively when i trip it with a longer rod (screwdriver) .. and i can feel it operating.. and the remote shutter release doesn't do anything either. i'd think that the chances of both switches going out would be fairly slim, given the rarity of actually using a cable release for most folks. (the package didn't have a cable release, either, which leads me to believe that it might never have even been used)

you're right about it only metering in auto mode. that's surprising, because it seems like the meter would be a whole lot more useful in manual mode, hah..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration