Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord I Compur Shutter full disa... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord I Compur Shutter full disassembling? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evgenys
Tinkerer
Username: Evgenys

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I decided to return to the life my old Rolleicord I camera, but after testing speeds of its shutter I've understood that I have to make a CLA of it.
I partially disassembled the shutter, using the information from Rick Oleson's website of the disassembling the Synchro Compur shutter, but after removing the speeds gear set I noticed that other part of the shutter (with release lever etc.) is very dirty too. So I need to fully disassemble the shutter to clean everything.
Unfortunately I couldn't find the manuals of the full disasembling of this shutter. I see there are several small screws and hair-like springs, but I don't know what to unscrew first.

Any help will be appreciated!

BTW, I use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the dirt inside the shutter. Is it correct choice, or I should use lighter fluid instead?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 282

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lighter fluid is absolutely better.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 609

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope you are photographing each step you've taken so far, as it's a great resource when you start to reassemble the shutter.

I usually don't like to get this far in dismantling a shutter, but have on occasion done so, finding that the levers have gotten out of shape during their many years of use, and have to be bent back into position.

Check the levers to see if any just pull straight off, while being observant of any tension springs that are hooked around posts, or tied down with screws. A dental pick type tool is useful for unhooking the springs. It looks like, going in a clockwise manner, that if you take off the levers in that order you should be okay.

While alcohol is a solvent, it has a lot of water in it, so I tend to use it mainly for cleaning the outside plating of the camera. Naptha/lighter fluid is best on the shutter blades, escapements, and levers. But only after the parts have been removed.

The Synchro-Compur is one of the few shutters that actually needs some lubrication. If you haven't flood cleaned it, you'll see where it was done before. I use a synthetic called Super Lube, as it doesn't travel, and works in a wide range of temperatures. You can either get it from Micro Tools, or at the hardware store.

Hope you don't have to take the blades out, I hear they can be a bit fussy getting them back in. So far, I haven't had to do that yet on one of these.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration