Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Getting started.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Getting started.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thekshields
Tinkerer
Username: Thekshields

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I luckboxed and found a Zeiss contax 1.7 50mm for about tree fiddy, only to get it home to realize that the focus will only rotate about 50% of the way around. I'm guessing it needs a lube job, and I have scoured this site and have found some good resources, but are there any other places or great threads on here that are buried that anyone recommends to get started in lens repair? I'm going back tomorrow to buy some canon fd lenses for practice, but as this will be the first time I attempt to take one apart I would love some good wisdom in the situation. Thx in advance

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 71

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

If you are going to practice on a Canon FD lens, I would suggest that you try out the later lenses ( all Black ) and not the earlier Breechlock lenses that has a rotating silver mount.
Doug

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1334

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can send you some notes on disassembling the Canon FD, either series. Not so sure about the Contax lens. Canon FD lenses are constructed a little differently from most others, due to their odd lens mount system... a Nikon, Pentax or Minolta mount lens might be closer in construction to the Zeiss lens as a practice piece, if you have the choice. [email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration