Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F - Opening mechanism broken Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F - Opening mechanism broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomd
Tinkerer
Username: Tomd

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently discovered and started using my dad's old equipment, an Olympus OM1 and a Nikon F. However, the Nikon's opening mechanism is shot... One can hear the parts rattling inside.

I would love to get into camera repair, but it seems like the only way into this one now is through the mirror box, which I'm very reluctant to remove on my first attempt at repairing a camera. Does anyone know a way in? Or is this even salvageable?

issue

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 611

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, I've got some photos at the link of the inside of the latching mechanism, plus tear-down, if that will help you figure out how to open yours.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEipWJZ

You may have to devise a way to rotate the latch, either by attaching a bolt to the bottom of the cam (secure it into the center of the cam with a locking nut), or by getting a right-angle tool inside to push on the cam.

PF

Tomd
Tinkerer
Username: Tomd

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Very useful, the right angle tool was just right!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration