Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FX-1 Aperture Sensor Ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica FX-1 Aperture Sensor Ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chapatt
Tinkerer
Username: Chapatt

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I recently began to disassemble my Yashica FX-1 in order to clean dirt out of the viewfinder. In the process, I stupidly removed some screws I hadn't needed to, releasing very tiny ball bearings and metal spacers from the races by which they were retained.

Here are some images showing how the tab rotates along with the aperture index tab on the lens. This pulls a cable through some pulleys, eventually moving the green needle in the viewfinder to show what aperture the lens is set to. http://imgur.com/a/NALOK

On that same link are images of the lens release, flash sync jack, and DOF preview which all look to be removable with some type of spanner screwdriver. My question is: is removing these the key to removing the mirror box? If not, where should I look to do that, thereby gaining better access to the ring I need to repair.

Thanks!
Chase

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I recall (it's been a while) the lens release, DOF, etc. are attached to the front standard and come off with it. Peel back the front leatherette and you should see the screws holding the front standard. Remove them and lift it off, being careful with any attachments such as wires.

I have no idea about the springs and bearings. Memory fails! It's an uncommon model which was quickly superseded by the FR series.

Chapatt
Tinkerer
Username: Chapatt

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip; the screws were hiding just behind the edges of the leatherette. Unfortunately, one of them stripped clean out (into almost a cone) on the first turn, so it had to be drilled out.

I think I should be able to fix everything with the front standard off. If not, maybe I'll just toss the aperture indexing ring and this camera will lose its aperture-priority mode.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration