Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord - Broken Device for Ground... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord - Broken Device for Ground Glass Mask « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jgtotal90
Tinkerer
Username: Jgtotal90

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought this Rolleicord about 2 weeks ago, and yesterday the glass retaining device came off. After this, every time I focus at 1.2 or less, the camera starts making a weird sound, which I assume that is from the glass, which is kinda loose right now. Is there anyway I can put the retaining device back?? Thanks for the help and sorry about my english ^^
Retaining Device
Place where the retaining device was

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1338

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are 2 pieces involved: the little bar that sets in that recess on the back of the hood frame, and a leaf spring that will fit between that piece and the screen to hold the screen in place.

- Is there a little T-shaped projection in the center of that bar, that would fit through the small slot in the center of the recess in your bottom photo? If not, it has broken off. That T is the anchor for the spring on the opposite side of the wall. The spring itself, assuming it was there in the first place, will have fallen into the mirror chamber below the screen where you can retrieve it.

If the bar is intact and the spring is present, you can put it all back together: remove the 4 screws holding the hood on the camera, find the spring, insert the T shaped tab into the slot so that the bar fills the recess in your bottom photo, and install the spring (there is another just like it at the front edge of the screen, which you can look at to see how it goes).

- If the T shaped tab is missing from the bar, you're kind of screwed unless you can find or make a replacement.

- If the spring is missing, ditto.

- If either of these is the case, you might want to consider returning the camera for a refund, as it's highly likely that it was this way before you bought it.

- There is no point using the camera in the interim, because it will not focus correctly with these pieces missing.

Jgtotal90
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know any way I could make a substitute leaf spring or something like that? And when I use the focusing screen, it seems in focus, will it come different in the photo? Thanks for the help, by the way.

Jgtotal90
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm seeing right now something in the focusing glass that kinda looks like the T tab you're talking about. It's the glass touching it that's making the weird sound I commented. I'm thinking about fixing it, but I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of opening my camera. Do you have any tips on that?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1339

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Yes, the focus will come out different in the photo from what you see on the screen.

2. Opening the hood is easy - just remove the 4 screws at the sides and it lifts off; the glass screen comes off with it. The spring should be lying inside, after you take the hood off. There's not any moving parts in that area, so it should not be a problem to just pick that up. If the T has broken off of the bar, that's more of a problem to make a replacement. If you're fairly handy, you can get some brass or aluminum sheet at a hobby shop and cut a new piece to replace it.

It is also possible to hold the screen in place in other ways, if you have no other choice: adhesive tape, etc .... however, to focus correctly, the screen must be held tight against its metal frame. The springs do this, of course, but a piece of tape is likely to allow the screen to drop down a little, and that will make the focus incorrect.

I have some notes & sketches showing how the hood and screen go together - email me at [email protected] if you'd like a copy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration