Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing front element Nikkor 80-200 4.5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Removing front element Nikkor 80-200 4.5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fokad
Tinkerer
Username: Fokad

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I need to unscrew the front element of a Nikon zoom 80-200 f/4.5 non AI. I have the repair manual.
-Can anybody confirm that the element has to be unscrewed in the anticlockwise direction (normal way)
-The element is very tight. Does anybody knows how to unscrew this element without breaking everything.
Thank you for your help
Best regards

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Firstly, I have not worked on that zoom lens, but are you absolutely certain the front element needs removing? Usually in telephoto zooms the front focusing group comprises 3 elements, the 3rd group being held by a retainer inside the barrel. To access the whole front tube must be unscrewed, this is sometimes possible by looking for a focus stop screw under the grip leatherette. When unscrewing the front tube make a note where it detaches from the helicoid, it will make reassembly much easier.
A trick I have found useful on stubborn retainers is to apply a few very small drops of WD-40 to the edge of the ring, let it soak in for 30 minutes then apply some drops of acetone. As well as loosening any glue the acetone seems to 'push' the WD-40 into the threads. Of course, this treatment has the potential to produce oily smears on glass surfaces that are difficult or 'impossible' to reach! So use with caution.

Gardener
Tinkerer
Username: Gardener

Post Number: 27

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's always counterclockwise. I have never seen a left thread in a lens.
Your repair manual should give precise instructions on what to - which set screws to loosen, which retainer rings to remove, and whether or not threadlocker was utilized.
What are you using to unscrew the element? Or is it the front group? You need to make sure, because it's best not to disassemble groups unless you absolutely need it.

Fokad
Tinkerer
Username: Fokad

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, Nikon repair manuals are very concise et suppose that you are already skilled in camera manipulation. Drawings are nice but there is no more instructions that needed.
I want to unscrew the ring that retains the front group in order to remove and clean this group (a lot of dust and some fungus). It is not in my mind to take apart the lenses of the group.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration